2024 - 10 min. to build a free native iOS/Android app šŸ”·

Thank you! Itā€™s possible to lock orientation to prevent horizontal?

1 Like

@danielowega All thoses settings are inside the compilers. :wink:

2 Likes

This is great!

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you @privilet.info

Hope you enjoy. This is the faster way I found.

1 Like

Hi, @JohnMark

The iOS works like a charm. And Iā€™d like to share my experience building the Android version. Itā€™s not that easy and straight forward as building in Xcode.

During the installation, you will find an error like this

Unsupported method: AndroidProject.getVariantNames()

I found a solution here in the top answer. It changes only two lines and it will work like magic. Then the android studio will ask to download a newer SDK version and all things will be done.

Follow the documentation in the jasonette.com to customize your app, but itā€™s quite an old version. Hereā€™s the path in new version

Open strings.xml, change the app_name to yours and change the URL to the same index.jsonā€™s URL path as JohnMarkā€™s instruction step 4.

And donā€™t forget to replace the icons in those mipmaps folders in the res folder. I did this manually by reveal the folder in finder and replace the icons one by one.

Have fun everyone :slight_smile:

23 Likes

Hi @privilet.info

Totally agreedā€¦ it took me 100 minutes to patch everything on Android. So letā€™s start first with the new Android download.

and download the fileā€¦

nextā€¦

nextā€¦
Configure your phone to be in a state of ā€œDevelopment modeā€ in the settings of your phone. You have to press 7 times this Build numberā€¦

nextā€¦
If the demo doesnā€™t work is probably because you donā€™t have the old thingsā€¦ so installed it.

1>

2 >

3 >

Still enjoy! you just saved hoursā€¦ :slight_smile:

11 Likes

@lantzgould Thanks

Awosome stuff @JohnMark , thanks for this.

But what is the difference between this and using a webview option? what are the advantages/ disadvantages?

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @LinuxUser, thanks.

The difference is for your end users, having an app that they can download from Apple and Google Stores. Itā€™s also more personal, your own ā€œiconā€ but in terms of speed it will be the same, since you donā€™t use Jasonelleā€™s native functions to make it faster, at the moment :wink:

1 Like

Using the webview option in Jasonelle will result in the same end experience as using something like Webview Gold or Superview. It does the same thing: load your Bubble website through a web browser. As JohnMark says, your users will download the app from the app store, but if there is no internet connection, thereā€™s no access to your app as itā€™s still just loading it through a web browser.

4 Likes

To add to what Andrew says, I would tend to believe that it depends on everyoneā€™s need. 95% of the apps I use on my iphone (100+) are apps that need to be online. Also as I mentioned, the advantage over WebView or the others ($) is that Jasonelle uses a batch file external to the main file (in json format), which makes it completely standalone for future changes without compile clutter. Over time, you can add native elements to your app to give it more color and speed. This plugin let you use the swipe and press&hold controls.

Swipe to Workflow Action

3 Likes

Hi John,

This looks very good! ONe of the main reasons why I would want a native version of my app is to be able to send native push messages to the user. Is that possible with your solution?

3 Likes

Hi @SenorPelota, and yes it is very good :slight_smile:

Jasonelle is basically a native application, with a ā€˜wrapperā€™ which is simply an htlm window of the same type as we have with Bubble. Notifications are possible, and there are several ways to do so. OneSignal is one of those. I invite you to read the means to achieve this. Jasonelle forum.

8 Likes

Is it enought to use one of bubble onesignal plugins or does it requiremother conficuration aswell?

1 Like

Hi @boostsalesgroup

I would like to be further advanced on this matter. I tested OneSignal on Mac and PC, and it works fine. I didnā€™t have the chance to test it inside the iOS app since a setup is to be done.

You can retrieve the address book, use the camera and mic also.

3 Likes

Iā€™m confused, is this a wrapper or native application? Iā€™m getting mixed messages. Is it any different than setting up a webview in Xcode or Android studio myself?

ā€œJasonelle is basically a native application, with a ā€˜wrapperā€™ which is simply an htlm window of the same type as we have with Bubble.ā€

Itā€™s possible to build a native app using Jasonelle if you leverage JSON to define your frontend. However, if youā€™re just using the webview functionality to load your Bubble app, then youā€™re using web technologies, NOT native technologies. Does this make sense?

Yes, so what @JohnMark did in his ā€œ6 Easy Stepsā€ above, is that leveraging JSON for the front-end or is it simply a webview?

Webview. Heā€™s not building out any UI elements using JSON in the above example, heā€™s loading a full Bubble web app, UI and all through the webview provided by Jasonelle. Itā€™s essentially a much easier, free version of using Webview Gold or Superview.

3 Likes

Hi @seth.griffin,

Thatā€™s a good idea. Can you share some tips for setting up a webview with Xcode and Studio? There is a major advantage that should not be forgotten. Once you first submitted your app to Apple and Google, you no longer need to use their compiler to make native changes and resubmit your project. For example, if I want to add the native audio recorder, I can do it in minutes directly in my Jasonelle json configuration file which initially has 7 command lines. The change is instantaneous on iOS and Android. Itā€™s much easier for us to edit a batch file than using 2 compilers and do programming in my humble opinion.

Here an example how to build a webview in xcode.

1 Like