Forum Documentation Showcase Pricing Learn more

$100 Is Highway Robbery!

This is me thinking out loud. I think only mature projects that bring in some sort of revenue use paid plugins. The rest of the projects use Bubble standard elements and plugins and third party free plugins. And even mature projects don’t want to rely on third party plugins for support reasons. So thousands a month is not realistic at this moment.

The plugin store is also very immature. As I said previously would you buy a 100$ plugin for Bubble app A if you know that if you discard/delete it and start Bubble app B you have to pay again 100$ for the plugin? Makes no sense from a buyer’s perspective.

1 Like

I’ve said this before and I’ll reiterate myself - the plugin store is a MARKETPLACE. If you don’t like the price/can’t afford it, bugger off or better, learn how to develop your own plugin that you can privately use or price other vendors out.

Honestly, I’m tired of people complaining about plugin prices. If I was in a similar position I’d only see it as an opportunity to learn how to create my own and then offer it at cheaper prices to ramp up the competition. This is the ONLY way the plugin store can grow - @petter couldn’t have said it better, someday someone is going to offer a cheaper alternative but for now all you can do is either wait or be the one to do it. I know which one I’d choose.

2 Likes

I think this is more of a technical thing than a business one.
As a plugin developer I don’t care if your purchased plugin is used in app A or B.

Maybe you should make a feature request to @Bubble to allow transferring a plugin from one app to another within the same account.

I think it’s already been requested.

You’re complaining about my complaining. You didn’t have to click the topic if you weren’t going to talk constructively like everyone else is trying to do. Just saying you’re tired of complaining and then telling us to make them ourselves isn’t constructive. In fact this moved more from complaining about prices to talking about alternatives and futures for bubbles plugin marketplace. I think this topic (IMO) brought up a lot of good debate which allows everyone to see from all perspectives. (financially capable, financially incapable and developers). I’m glad I created the topic because I’m actually learning quite a lot about the behind the scenes of plugin development, how people find work arounds and more.

I’m “complaining about your complaining” because you claim you want a good debate, when in reality, if that was the case you would have searched this overly obsessed topic in the forum. There have been many people like you who have had this same thought and we have had various debates over it. Saying the same thing repeatedly gets boring. It is right to assume that before someone starts a topic, they would have at least looked in the forum.

@lockym202020

To be fair, @mukhtar007 is understandably tired, because there are a gazillion threads just like this one, with the same type of original post delivered in varying degrees of aggressive and insulting tone towards developers who are actually contibuting. While I agree that “make it yourself” is perhaps not a constructive answer, it has to be seen in light of that context. What you call good debate and new perspectives are talking points that regular visitors have been over ad nauseum, and plugin developers are understandably tired of being put in the awkward position of having to explain and defend themselves for pricing their plugins at a level that can sustain their business.

That people are still talking constructively says a lot about the excellent community and tone of this forum. I don’t believe a forum member should be chasticed for creating a thread with a topic that already exists (that’s the first sign of a bad community if you ask me), but it’s unavoidable with some reactions when the topic is brought up yet again a mere few days after the last one. Your original post in general has been answered respectfully, and I’d ask that you return the favor by trying to see the perspective of those who have witnessed this discussion for the nth time.

Both the plugins and the plugin store itself leaves a lot to be desired at this point in time – that’s true. But it’s equally true that Bubble as a product naturally attracts a lot of people who are looking to develop something more or less without a development budget, and who have unrealistic expectations of cost-saving. I have no problem understanding that a 17-year old thinks $100 is a lot of money (really, I’m not being condescending here), but for a company investing in a plugin needed to complete their software, $100 is nothing. Basic CRM software, CMS’s and hosting alone can easily cost hundreds or thousands of dollars each per month, and personally I would pay $100 for a high-quality plugin for a project without batting an eye.

Bubble is a young platform, and the state of the plugin store is one of many things we need to simply accept as part of it’s growth. Wordpress plugins are plentiful and cheap because Wordpress is 15 years old and powers 75 million websites. A successful plugin can sell hundreds of thousands of installations, while the most sold paid plugin on Bubble has sold 163. Some of them are made by enthusiasts who invest only their time, others are made by hired developers who expect a monthly paycheck no matter how many plugins are sold that month.

3 Likes

I think you are operating under an incorrect assumption here which, in my opinion, is short-sighted. Maybe fast and inexpensive are the most important factors for you, but not for all of us.

Some of us are more interested in the long-term viability of the Bubble platform which means that Bubble developers need to be able to build financially sustainable business models in order to continue to return value back into the ecosystem. It is in Bubble’s best interests to create a space for these long-term relationships with everyone in their ecosystem.

The push back you are getting is what one should expect when trying to tell other people how to run their businesses when you are angling to get some benefit from the products/services they provide and your opinion is based on an incorrect assumption that only views the situation from a short-sighted position.

1 Like

I’m debating on whether or not we should lock this thread. I think we’ve beaten this horse long enough, and there are many other threads. Any objection to closing this one?

6 Likes

Please :smiley:

That’s like asking the plugin builder to be a promissory note holder of the debt you owe for the pre-payment use of the plugin, with the note being collectible only if your app is profitable.

The idea of paying over time is fine, I think it could be like a variable rate based on the number of months you will be paying it back, however there would need to be a credit card that has a hold for the full amount to ensure the solvency of the person using the app.

@keith has been writing for half an hour already. Let him send before you lock or he will go bananas :joy:

3 Likes

I really doubt that that’s true. But let’s say I were going to introduce a lower-priced, but somewhat less functional version of Calendar Grid Pro (you might have noticed that the naming here implies that this might be in the offing… “Where is Calendar Grid Lite? What does it offer?” you might ask.)

Well, that’s a complex issue. Calendar Grid Pro isn’t really designed as a date picker (though it can do that). It’s main value is in dynamic, interactive date range picking and the subsequent business processes that typically ensue (i.e., allow user to select an available range [where available is actually a very complex topic], knowing the range acquire the individual dates within that range [something that cannot be done in vanilla Bubble without scripting], rapidly perform some iterative process over the dates within the range [again, something that vanilla Bubble does not let you do without additional scripting]).

That’s the cool part. That’s the part that incorporates my knowledge and experience with booking processes. That part is super-monetizable. And if you need stuff like that, and want to do it in Bubble, the price point is a bargain compared to the time it takes to figure out – or even implement if you know how – even one part of that process. (Like, load moment/moment-timezone and ensure they are ready, dynamically unblock dates, dynamically change minimum/maximum nights, handle changeovers if you need, do the iteration part, etc., etc.)

The other part that’s interesting and obviously monetizable (as I’ve done it) is View Only mode. Just show availability.

Single Pick and Multi Pick mode are kind of by products of the other two modes. Once you have all the other stuff in place, those capabilities just kind of fall out. It wouldn’t make sense to not include them with the Range Mode capabilities. But on their own, do they offer any particular value over other simple date picking solutions? Perhaps.

The questions are: Is Calendar Grid Pro interesting without Range Mode (which would be obvious part to omit in a Lite version)? What would be the right price point for that?

Well, here’s some data: First, while it’s early days for CGP, I’ve yet to have a specific request or question about single date picking, like, “Hey, this is really cool, but I don’t need fancy range stuff. Might there be a less expensive version without that?”

Second: What’s the right price point for that? Well, in my production app, paying customers pay $5/month per property calendar (with some discounts available for multiple properties or annual pre-payment as is common in SaaS) for the “View Only” type calendar. It has no interactivity and no built-in inquiry and notification features like my other offering, the Booking Widget (which is really what I’d like people to subscribe to, right?).

So, would I price a tool that lets someone more easily create the same sort of service (or similar service) for any number of customers at less than $5/month? That seems weird, right? So, at that level, with the same sort of discounting as CG PRO, the one time cost would be $50. Maybe it would have a steeper discount, I dunno.

Note: I’m not actually concerned about an existing customer of mine going, “Oh hai, I’ll just use this Bubble thing and Keith’s plugin to make calendars for all of my properties and that will only cost me $5/month rather than $45 or whatever.”… because there’s a lot more that goes into in than that and they are not in the business of web development.

Of course, that’s not the only use case for a cool-ass date picker / calendar generator. And that’s not the only value proposition for our imagined Calendar Grid Lite product. For example, let us say that one is allergic to any type of code and so even the very well documented “custom calendar via repeating group” technique seems daunting. Or maybe you want to pick dates in some other timezone. Or maybe you want a magically locale-aware, picker because (like me with GRUPZ and me and my customers with their vacation rentals, you have a surprisingly high percentage of international customers and prospects).

How do you even do that locale-aware part in Bubble and how long does it take? What’s your time worth? How do you even begin to understand timezone awareness or “picking in zone”? I’ve documented that extensively and even built a sample app that shows how that can be done. But it involves loading external libraries and Run JavaScript elements and JavaScript to Bubble element and blah-de-blah-de-blah. It can take more than hour to read my explanations, understand them and examine my sample project, etc. How much is your time worth?

All of that stuff is really great info for folks who want to become exceptionally skilled at Bubble development and increase their knowledge about web and web app development. But what if you wanna just pick a date in some other damn timezone and move on with your app’s core business functionality?

There you go. There’s the value prop.

It’s why I pay @gaurav $4/month for his excellent int’l phone plugin. Because I tried to build it on my own inside of Bubble, but it’s too slow and too hard to maintain. And two, even though I could do my own plugin to implement intl-tel-input, I have other things I want to spend my time on. It solves the problem of getting me valid phone numbers for my users and making sure they are accurate and SMS-able. And for my customers getting them valid, accurate phone numbers for folks that inquire with them. That’s full of win.

(And hey, I still spent a couple of hours configuring it just so and adding other things like integration with Twilio’s free validation API in Bubble.)

The additional question is, “Is it worth my time to maintain a Lite and Pro version of the same plugin or to even branch my code to do that experiment?”

At the moment, it’s unclear. Again, nobody’s asking for that cheaper Lite version.

There will always be people, by the way, who (for many different reasons) are very cost-sensitive and, even if they understand the value of something, will try to get that something for a lower cost. Or who will not pay anything and will accept something less functional but free.

There are also people who understand the value of something and will gladly pay more than you are asking and think you’re a dope for providing something so rad for so little money.

This is something worth thinking about when you plan and price your products.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m multitasking. Go ahead and lock if you wanna as I just dropped some thoughtful info.

Agreed. I am not interested in the lite version but the platinum one.

The one that handles hourly and scheduling hourly! I will throw a truck load of money at your feet when you add that to the plugin.

I’m currently building a niche app that rents certain spaces monthly, daily and hourly with option of recurring any of those.

1 Like
closed #36