Announcing a new pricing and the ability to buy server capacity

Yes, as you need to be able to invite someone before they can pay

1 Like

Ok, cheers for clearing that up!

1 Like

Yes, the best way of telling is to slowly add units and see how often the app hits max capacity. Itā€™s actually pretty hard to predict in advance, because if your app is just over the limit, adding one unit might mean you never hit max capacity any more, but if your app has brief spikes where it goes way over the limit, then you might have to add a lot before all those spikes go away. Itā€™s very app-by-app.

In terms of available units, right now the max is 20 per app (I think ā€“ just checking from memory). As time goes on and more people buy capacity, though, weā€™ll be able to scale our infrastructure to the point where we can raise that limit over time.

4 Likes

I have a Pro Plan at the moment while I am building my apps and was planning on moving to the Dedicated, but now I am not sure how expensive the dedicated would be based on the Production price as that was approximately the cost of the dedicated, and what limits are on the dedicated. IE Storage, Usage etc

CURRENTLY - I have 5 private apps (a couple are just for learning) so I now have to pay $69 x 5 = $345 ? with 40GB less storage, is that correct?

QUESTION: I thought maybe I could move my learning apps to the free plans BUT it says no password protection on the live site, my app needs to be protected, can you please clarify what that means?

ALSO: May I ask why the higher plans donā€™t have more storage?

1 Like

Everyone seems to be pretty happy about the changes but in fact bubble just proposed a serious price increase.

I was pretty happy about having 5 private apps as MVPā€™s at a time and see whatā€™s working and whatā€™s not.
Now you have to pay for each individual apps you are working on / testing.

I expected such a price increase as bubble has been pretty affordable all this time maybe even too cheap, but Iā€™m staying on my legacy professional plan as long as they donā€™t force me to change my plans.

That said, Iā€™d describe bubbleā€™s service as ā€œpricelessā€.
So whatever happens, count me in.

Fun fact: in the old days bubble charged per visitors to your website.

3 Likes

I made the switch today since I only have one app. The way it works is you pick the plan you want for each app, so instead of picking your plan in your account page, you now pick the plan in the appā€™s settings page. Free apps can be private, but theyā€™ll have the bubble banner when someone runs your private app.

More expensive plans are for the apps that need better performance. Hobby and Personal apps run at the same speed, but Pro and above run faster with the option of upgrading performance even more. This is the tradeoff for not counting workflows anymore. Your app will now run slower instead of cutting users off when the workflow count would exceed your planā€™s limit under the legacy plans.

The other tradeoff is the new plans have a storage limit, which legacy plans donā€™t have. In your case, you could switch to the new system, put your learning apps on Hobby and private, then upgrade plans for those apps that need it.

You can start going through the process up to the point of picking the plans for each of your apps before taking the plunge. Youā€™ll be asked to verify switching to the new plan since it canā€™t be undone.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

What happens if the app hits the capacity limit while running a workflow e.g api workflow?
Does that workflow and subsequent steps run slower (or) does it stop executing leading to orphaned objects ?

Not sure I agree here Cho - and I initially felt the same way as you do - the key point you mentioned was the word MVP - I assume 5 apps in ā€˜MVPā€™ status wouldnā€™t need more than the personal plan - at $16 pm x 5 that is $80 pm (Discounted now if paid annually). I am getting the same benefit as the $79 legacy professional plan for 5 apps.

However, of my 5 MVPā€™s, 3 are pretty dormant. And iā€™ll put those onto a free plan while they sit there, along with ability to create many more free apps. So thats pretty much me set at $32 pm for exactly the performance I need from my 2 primary apps. And if I did need 5 ā€˜no bubble marketingā€™ apps, well - same price as professional plan today.

Suggestion regarding the ā€˜freeā€™ app - present the ā€˜Bubble branded bannerā€™ in the live site only, not the ā€˜version-testā€™ preview site.

If I understand correctly, the purpose of the banner is to market Bubble to not yet bubble users, rather than to frustrate designers (who are already massive bubble evangelists). And in design / preview mode, the banner becomes a bit of a creative barrier / frustration.

Fully endorse the banner being there for live site customers / users on free plan.

6 Likes

@josh When you say ā€œā€¦or the bubble code needs to be fasterā€, which are you referring toā€¦the workflows that we users build out for our Bubble apps or the back end node.js code that you write to power the Bubble system?

I AGREE!**[quote=ā€œandrewmackers, post:69, topic:15729, full:trueā€]
Suggestion regarding the ā€˜freeā€™ app - present the ā€˜Bubble branded bannerā€™ in the live site only, not the ā€˜version-testā€™ preview site.

If I understand correctly, the purpose of the banner is to market Bubble to not yet bubble users, rather than to frustrate designers (who are already massive bubble evangelists). And in design / preview mode, the banner becomes a bit of a creative barrier / frustration.

Fully endorse the banner being there for live site customers / users on free plan.
[/quote]

1 Like

All seems very well thought out. Kudos to you @emmanuel and @josh (and your growing team!). The only thing that is not 100% clear to me is whether the ā€œbasicā€ server capacity offered in the paid Personal plan (conspicuously the same as that of the free Hobby plan) is better, same, or worse than what is offered in the Legacy Personal plan. If Iā€™m reading between the lines correctly, I think the answer is worse (from the email: ā€œIf you are on a legacy paid plan, youā€™ll have a reserved server capacityā€). Which may be okay (my app is such that Iā€™ll use Personal plan for 10-11 months a year and then jump to Professional for my busy season), but Iā€™m already struggling with page load speed on my heaviest pages and need to know if I should expect further deterioration with ā€œbasicā€ server capacity. Or if I now need to worry about poorly-tested / non-optimized Hobby sites taking down my paid app. Thank you.

2 Likes

This is great News, Iā€™m so excited to migrate to the all new pricing system. No workflow counting any more & ready SSL.
Yes & Yes.
Thanks Bubble Team.:sunglasses:

marchenco.
Thanks !

Hello there,

One question to the founders, will the apps in the profesional plan run faster in the new system than in the legacy without adding more server capacity?

I mean my current app in a profesional (legacy) will run faster after I switch to the new system with no capacity upgrade?

Thanks a lot guys.

1 Like

Is a dedicated server option still available?

1 Like

Hey Emmanuel
I think you may need to look in to the concept of segregating collaboration and transferability of apps between accounts.

If I want to add a collaborator - I need to upgrade.
If I want to transfer my app to another personā€™s account, it goes there in hobby mode until he chooses the plan for it.
A copy stays on my side, which I can keep or delete, but is not linked to the app I transferred.
Thats how wix are handling this (not that wix is necessarily an inspiration for everything).

1 Like

The former ā€“ things run slower, but continue to run. In an extreme situation where your app is completely under water, things might start timing out and erroring, but we try to prevent that from happening.

Our thoughts there are that a) if youā€™re planning on having real traffic to your site before upgrading, then you probably need to design around the banner / integrate it into your design, b) if you want to see what it looks like without the banner, the responsive tab in the editor lets you do that, c) we donā€™t want to inadvertently encourage people to use the test version as the live version.

Either. Weā€™re constantly making improvements on our end to try to make things more efficient, but thereā€™s also often ways that users can simplify their apps on their end (smaller pages with fewer elements, showing / processing less data at a time, etc). My point is that server-capacity isnā€™t a cure-allā€¦ throwing more processing power can speed things up, and lack of processing power can slow things down, but itā€™s not the only factor. Itā€™s important to always check the Logs tab before buying more server capacity to make sure itā€™s actually going to help.

Itā€™s a step down from the legacy personal plan; weā€™re lowering the price on the new plan to try to make it a good option for people with pretty simple sites that donā€™t need to use a lot of Bubbleā€™s advanced data processing.

However, even on free / personal, we still segregate apps, to protect your app from being slowed down by other peopleā€™s apps. The difference is that for reserved capacity, we try to make sure that apps always have their full allotment of capacity, whereas for free / personal weā€™re okay if 1 - 2% of the time they get a little less capacity than normal.

No, itā€™ll be the same until you buy additional capacity.

Yes, it is, but not at the same prices (existing dedicated users can keep their current pricing). We found that the overhead for dedicated was much more expensive than we anticipated, and our goal is for our non-dedicated plans a good alternative for even large, heavily-trafficked websites. Weā€™re gearing dedicated for users with special IT needs that we canā€™t accommodate on our primary cluster.

Yes, this is good feedback, thank you ā€“ not sure how weā€™ll handle this exactly yet but weā€™ll look into it. EDIT: I spoke too soon on this. We actually do let you transfer the app to another user even on the hobby plan. If you want to keep a copy for yourself, you can just copy the app prior to transferring it.

3 Likes

Hello josh, one more question: what happens when we exceed our storage limit? Does it prevent users from uploading files, or does it automatically increase our storage capacity (and its price) ?

1 Like

It blocks uploads (but we send out warning emails in advance)