Any reason why I wouldn't be able to create a subscription system using Bubble recurring events?

Curious if anyone here has circumvented the Stripe subscription API and created a Bubble-based system using recurring API events. Is there any reason why I couldn’t create a recurring payments workflow system using Stripe as the processor and Bubble as the recurring engine? ie: no subscription-type payments but instead 1-off payments that are generated via Bubble every ‘x days’ using a user’s stored credit card info? Would this require a user to confirm a Stripe payment dialogue popup ever ‘x days’ or would this all happen in the background every ‘x days’ just like a typical Stripe subscription?

What would the benefit be? It is probably possible, just curious why you’d want to put that task on Bubble instead of a company that is dedicated to the craft.

Maybe there’s a better way to structure how my app processes payments, here’s what I have going on:

Each client gets a sub-app generated for their own use. The unique API keys for this sub-app are created in a Stripe Connected Account and copied over to the Stripe plugin. The connected app’s owner must subscribe to a monthly plan in our parent Stripe account before gaining access to become a Stripe Seller on the platform. This app owner then is able to collect payments from users and we, the parent app, can take a % fee from these one-off payments between user and sub-app owner. The issue I am trying to overcome is this: Our parent app can not take a % fee from subscriptions in Stripe. There is no option for this. The only way I can imagine taking a % fee from subscriptions is setting up recurring API events in Bubble and then that would allow us to take a % from “subscriptions” that are really recurring 1-time payments.

Ah interesting, that’s a pretty complicated scenario. You’re certainly far beyond my scope of comfort with payments!

I’m going to experiment with the options available and will report back with what I find out. It’s not overly complicated, we are just unable to take % from subscription-type payments. Maybe this is only achievable writing custom API calls.

I have tested this, but for a fixed number of future payments.
Example, allowing my sellers to have their customers sign up for a payment plan instead of making a one time large purchase.

This seemed to work fine in testing, however I never made this a live feature as it was right around a time when Scheduled Workflows weren’t running correctly.

My situation was slightly different than what you are looking at, as I was Scheduling Workflows with a maximum of 4 payments. It was not recurring. But I imagine it would work the same - saving User Credit Card then processing it with a workflow in the future

1 Like

Curious if you ever experimented with charging a monthly fees using Bubble’s recurring API events and how it turned out?

You’re right, it would work that way. I think this is possible using Bubble’s built-in workflows but is not yet possible using the Stripe.js+ Plugin (which is how I’m handling subscriptions now). What’s great about this plugin though is you can now capture a fee from subscriptions as well as fully manage subscriptions belonging to a child Custom Stripe account completely from Bubble (no popups or Stripe branding necessary).

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, the Fee coming out of the Subscription is a nice service. Might move to the JS+ plugin next major software update, but for now will likely stick with Bubble’s Stripe setup and a couple scheduled workflows/payments (split large payment into 3 charges)

Hi everyone!

I am trying to set up a subscription system using bubble. As I cannot use strip, due to currency issues.

So I will be creating billing periods and the users would pay via bank deposit or electronic transactions, with the amount specified on an email they get from the app, depending on their monthly use of the app, and the fee generated by that. And then they will confirm the payment on the app to keep the “paid service active” See this as grubhub, where restaurants pay a commission for each order.

So, I need to create recurring events to send this emails, say every 5th day of each month. How can I do that? I am looking into recurring events on API’s.

2 Likes

Stripe charges an extra 0.5%/transaction for subscription payments, which I’m realizing adds up very quickly once you have a solid amount of paid users.

@philip could you send me a link to the Stripe plugin you are using? I can not find it.

I am in the same situation, trying to create a marketplace where buyers would buy recurring subscriptions from sellers and we would take a commission. Thank you.