Bubble-Discourse Integration Co-Sponsorship

:rocket: This Feature Was Sponsored By Bubble Community Members :sun_with_face: :city_sunrise:
Discourse Integration Sponsors: @supernaturally ($180) @lakshman.saurabh ($100) @roddi ($50) @scott3 ($50) @mattmazzega ($50) @andrewgassen ($50)

[Aggregating threads from here and here] The Bubble team has confirmed that they have some bandwidth before January 14’th to integrate Discourse SSO over the next two weeks for approximately $480, depending on our needs. If you will be utilizing this feature in your work and are able to make a contribution, please respond to this thread.

I’ll post updates as we progress with the integration. I know that we are all very excited to get this feature implemented into our work - it will unlock a new realm of possibility for Bubble and the builders of this community. Hope everyone had a great holiday, let’s give 2018 a proper welcome!

Integration features:

• input for a link to your Discourse Base URL
  • input for a secret token (you get this from Discourse)
  • checkbox to force your Discourse users to adopt a default avatar on account creation
  • ability to suppress the initial welcome message sent by Discourse to new users
  • ability to switch off the activation email sent by Discourse (just make sure you validate your users emails inside of Bubble first to avoid security risks)

[UPDATE - 1/12/2018] Bubble team has released the Discourse SSO integration:

2 Likes

I’m in for $50

After several thorough runs through Discourse’s SSO documentation, I will be touching base with Bubble this weekend for their consideration on a few minor tweaks to a vanilla SSO integration, pending time/cost, of course. Here are my proposed items:

1. [easy] suppress_welcome_message=true exposed as a checkbox in Bubble settings - I think this will allow for a seamless SSO that is less annoying for users. Since the current implementation already has require_activation=true, we can just reword Discourse’s activation email to double as a welcome email.
  2. [more involved] expose add_groups and remove_groups to specify Discourse Groups for each user. Perhaps Bubble might include these in the “add a new field” popup in the data tab, and only pass them into the payload if they contain values for each user using SSO.
  3. [easy] “override user avatar” option as checkbox in Bubble settings - you can pass avatar_url to override user avatar. Avatars are cached so pass avatar_force_update=true to force them to update if the url is the same.
  4. [more involved] enable custom user fields - this is primarly useful for developers that are writing plugins for Discourse. Example:
    sso.custom_fields["seller_shop_url"] = "http://my_shop.com"
    sso.custom_fields["seller_shop_name"] = "Bubble Lounge"

Current Sponsors - if anyone has additional items that are mission critical, we could explore the cost implications with the Bubble team based on everyone’s input.

I’m in

Everything is good to go. It sounds like the timeline for going live will be within a week or two, but I’m sure the Bubble team will post after they test, etc. We still have one pending contributor, but if any community members reading this are intending to use the integration for commercial purposes and feel like contributing another $10-$50, lots of appreciation and good Karma await you. Cheers,

Anyone else able to throw down $5-$50?

Integration will include:

• input for a link to your Discourse Base URL
  • input for a secret token (you get this from Discourse)
  • checkbox to force your Discourse users to adopt a default avatar on account creation
  • ability to suppress the initial welcome message sent by Discourse to new users
  • ability to switch off the activation email sent by Discourse (just make sure you validate your users emails inside of Bubble first to avoid security risks)
1 Like

Bubble team just released the feature, woo hoo! Thanks for your contributions everyone @lakshman.saurabh @roddi @scott3 @mattmazzega @andrewgassen

4 Likes