Forum Documentation Showcase Pricing Learn more

Bubble + Jasonette (native mobile apps)

Hey all,

We’ve been having a conversation on another page that I think should be made into a separate topic.

We went from talking about wrapping apps in Dropsource to compiling the Bubble app JSON into Jasonette and testing the app out internally in Xcode.

@JohnMark noted that you can store the app anywhere, including the Bubble root directory (settings --> SEO/metatags --> scroll to bottom) instead of having to host the file on a JSON URL.

tagging @StevenM who was also active in the conversation.

I haven’t tried running on Jasonelle yet, only Jasonette, but will try that this evening.

If anyone has any feedback, tweaks, or instructions on what worked for them, they would be greatly welcomed.

1 Like

Just a quick note, I don’t believe the Bubble exported JSON is usable in Jasonette. You either handroll your own JSON that fits with the Jasonette schema, or you use a webview.

1 Like

Ok so this is clearly not a nocoder solution.

1 Like

Well, I wouldn’t quite say that. JSON is really, really easy to write, and I wouldn’t classify it as code. It’s more like HTML or BBCode. It’s much easier than writing Java or Swift, not really even comparable.

0 Likes

How would you define the complexity compared the Bubble app creation?

0 Likes

It’s hard to compare the two. JSON is done in a text editor, so if you’re allergic to writing anything that looks like code, you’ll find Bubble easier.

0 Likes

What I am trying to get at is that to be helpful for others, people really need to know the time and learning required to get up to speed.

I can generally stumble my way through JSON, but others using Bubble who have no familiarity with JSON would not know what they are looking at. As someone who took the time to learn how to format JSON for APIs work etc, its not something you can integrate in 30 minutes if you have no idea what you are looking at. Its not an ‘easy’ solution to integrate and then when you start talking about Xcode for testing, well there is a whole lot of time you need to invest there to.

1 Like

A solution would be an integrated Bubble mobile solution and I see it is on their roadmap at some point in the future.

1 Like

Yep, agree with you there. I had toyed with the idea of hiring someone to build a visual editor for Jasonette to more easily integrate it with Bubble, but never got around to doing so.

3 Likes

https://docs.jasonette.com/web/#json-web-container

In Jasonette, you simply used the ‘wrapper’ section to integrate (to point to your Bubble url site) the web container action. If you want to feel more ‘native’ then, you can use other jasonette actions. But to keep it simple, you create your own text file with approx 7 lines in less than 30 minutes… in a json format. Put the json file in a Bubble directory, compile with Apple store and Android, and run you app. It’s almost zero coding. The way it’s presented in jasonette is maybe more complicated then it should (have to admit).

1 Like

@JohnMark I’ve been looking into Jasonette from some of your other comments on it, and scouring the forum to compare it to GoNative, Phonegap/Cordova, or Dropsource. I’ve used GoNative before with no problems, but I wasn’t using Bubble at the time.

I understand it’s a bit of code, but would using Jasonette allow me to:

• make use of native features (push notifications, etc.)
  • update Bubble to make live changes to the mobile app
  • use native search / menus

I need a web application, but also a mobile app for my situation. The main need for mobile would be push notifications, and potentially accessing native NFC (like Apple’s Core NFC).

Just looking for some direction here before I go to far…

1 Like

Just throwing this out there, maybe would it be possible to do a tutorial to writing the json to create a Bubble app with a more native feel rather than the web view? Or is too unique for each use case for that to be helpful?

1 Like

Fast answer will be Yes, Yes, Yes. But at the end of the day, someone not willing to learn the jasonette actions commands must stay at an hybride level (mean displaying only their web site).

@seth1 Eventually someone will do it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response! I’ve spent hours digging into this, and given your strong recommendation, I think it sounds like the best long-term solution for me, if it gives access to all those native elements.

I’m proficient in html, css basics, etc. so I don’t think Jasonnette will be super hard to learn.

Last question - I’m guessing I still need to create my Bubble app as a single page app, and use groups to hide/display content right? Not a mult-page?

1 Like

I got a very hard experience building my app into a one page viewer in Bubble. If you expect to have a large app, I recommend to separate into pages. It will be faster. My point. At the moment, my app is very acceptable in term of speed even switching from one page to another (that’s why I don’t have to use at the moment jasonette, but yes eventually to be exposed on app stores). So yes to your question about hide and display, it work well.

So now @jeremiah, you have the task to document jasonette implementation in 30 minutes with Bubble :slight_smile: (or do your best)

0 Likes

Hahaha, I definitely don’t mind doing that to help the community! As long as I can figrue it out :smile: . One clarification, sorry for misunderstanding…

Bubble (and many pros here) constantly recommend building a single-page app if you intend to use a wrapper like PhoneGap or GoNative. Is that just because of those wrapper’s limitations/requirements? In other words, how is it that Jasonette is able to handle multi-page web apps, but PhoneGap/Cordova can’t with Bubble?

I agree - the way my brain works it seems to make much more sense to create multiple pages.

1 Like

If you build everything at the same place, it’s fine. If your app become too big in term of 100 of repeating groups and so on, then I will suggest to go to multiple pages. It make no difference for jasonette wrapper (one or multi pages, it point on the URL you exposed). I’m not trying to be the jasonette expert here :slight_smile:

Look also for https://docs.jasonette.com/advanced/

Jasonette slack community: https://jasonette.slack.com/messages

1 Like

Hi. What is a Bubble directory?

0 Likes

Settings section, SEO metatags tab, ‘Hosting file in the root directory’.

edit: Or you can use the regular download Bubble file and point to it (but it change the name each time you make any changes).

1 Like

Thank you. Had no idea you could use it for that.

0 Likes