Bubble Web App/Mobile App - Can they be the same Database?

Hey Bubblers,

I am in the middle of doing an app with Bubble. What I am looking for is to see if anyone has done this with Bubble and is it possible?

I am looking to do native app that I can wrap with Go.Native or Phonegap and have available on iOS and Android?
A) Do i need to build the native apps on groups rather than pages? Is it only 1 page?

I see people on this forum say that you can’t have someone sign up to the member ship through Stripe on an app so I am wondering what the best way is around this.
B) When app is downloaded and they click “join” to sign up - Can I redirect them to a sign up form in the web app outside the app?

C) When people use an internet browser to search the company name, they get directed to the web app, How do I combine all the data in one database? Also, Can I use a separate database from Bubble to send the infomation to and if so has anyone got any ideas on how?

Hope I get some answers that will help on this and I am stuck in a spot!

There are a lot of threads about this topic on the forums, and a few community members have put courses together. I’d suggest searching through previous threads or taking @natedogg course on building mobile apps.

Importantly, Bubble does not have official mobile support yet, it’s still in the alpha or beta phases. There are other solutions more mature for building mobile apps. It’s also important to note that by using GoNative or Phonegap, you will not be building a native app, you’ll be building a hybrid app.

@potentialthings Thank you for your response. Yeah I understand that, What about using Drop Souce as the App to download, Would that be native app? and then using Bubble for the web app?

Can I join the databases on Bubble?

Sorta. It’d be the same database, you’d be interacting with Bubble via its API. @ssmith has a great up on how to do it in another thread on the forum.

But yes, apps made with Dropsource are native. You can even get the Java and Swift (might be Objectove-C, but I think it’s Swift) code available as an export if you’re on a paid plan.

1 Like

Yes, I send Sue a few questions too. I have started to build the app on Bubble so I want to find out the best way to do this before I continue adding stuff as Bubble seems great for web apps but my users are going to be using the app more than the browser for this. Otherwise it won’t be very easy accessible for the users.

Thanks for you help!

Cheers @potentialthings :smiley_cat:

Hey @andrewmcsweeney0 I’ve sent you a reply via the chat inside Dropsource but in case anyone else is wondering - yes you can connect a Dropsource app to the same data source you use for your Bubble web app. Dropsource creates native mobile apps (written in Swift and Java that you can indeed download on our Premium plan) that can connect to external data via REST APIs. Since Bubble exposes an API for your data, you’re able to connect to it in a Dropsource app. We do that by importing the Swagger / OpenAPI specification Bubble provides for the API - more on that in the Bubble docs.

More than happy to provide additional detail, and in case anyone else is interested - this is the tutorial I had posted on connecting a Bubble API to Dropsource.

2 Likes