Button that copies data, record for record, from one table to another table?

Anyone know how to copy tables? My tests have resulted in copied data all residing on one line, separated by commas. Thanks Jeff

Doable? Not Doable?

How are you doing it now? I would think the copy list functionality should do it, so long as youā€™re copying it to another list. Is this not what youā€™re looking for?

I probably need to understand ā€œlist of thingsā€ better, the concept escapes me. Also, the logic behind my motive might also be questionable.

That said, I wanted to copy table ā€œAā€™sā€ current data so I can create reports from the data in table ā€œBā€.

The ā€œoriginatingā€ data is temporary ā€œAā€, its an orders table that gets cleared once the user presses ā€œcreate orderā€. Once the order is created, I want to move that data in ā€œAā€ to another database ā€œBā€ so I can create reports from the data in ā€œBā€.

ā€œAā€ is reset and ready for a new order.

Sounds like something you can easily accomplish using scheduled API workflow on a list. There is plenty of information about that in the forums.

Iā€™m not sure it is what you are looking for but I use it for example to create a reporting table. I have a bunch of data throughout different data types which are connected but not easy to use when it comes to filtering etc.

So I have a button that schedules an API workflow on a list (the list is a repeating group with the data I need) that created a whole new thing (basically your copy) with all the elements/fields that I need.

When I click the button, it deletes the old list, then created a brand new one. (since we are not capped for workflows now, Iā€™ll leave it for now. In the future Iā€™d like a workflow to first check if anything in any row has been changed before updating instead of deleting and creating new which takes up a lot of unnecessary resources)

Thanks @vincent56 sounds like what Iā€™m trying to accomplish. Will do some more research, might want to pick you brain if I get stuck tho. Thanks for the reply and direction!

yeah no problem.

In more detail:

I have a thing of ā€˜Calculationā€™ that I use as source (do search for A) in a hidden repeating group on a page.

I have a button on that page (will automate this later on) that schedules an API workflow on a list:

The result of the workflow is that every ā€˜Calculationā€™ entry in that repeating group is created as a ā€˜Bookingreportā€™

That part you set in the API workflow section:

You define which parts of that first source (Calculation in my case) you want to put in your new thing (booking report) and you can also add other stuff not in that list if you want.

That is the basic idea.

4 Likes