Call page in a new tab

The “Link” visual element allows one to open an internal page in a “new tab”

Why can’t we do the same when opening an internal page from a workflow?

3 Likes

As explained here https://bubble.io/reference#Actions.OpenURL, it’s because of browsers popup blockers. Nothing we can do about that.

1 Like

@macro101

You can use a HTML element with target:_blank function and style the HTML as a button:

for example:

<a style="background-color: #000; padding: 5px; border-radius: 9px; color: #fff; text-decoration: none" href="https://www.bubble.is" target="_blank">bubble</a>
3 Likes

Hi Emmanuel, I am struggling with the current approach, as I think the problem is twofold:

1. most modern browsers clearly indicate when a popup is blocked and make it easy for the user to override and allow tabs/popups from a website

2. if the URL is provided by an API, for the Link approach, Bubble needs to call the API each time the page loads just to provide the Link/External link URL, instead of just calling it when the user clicks the element for the External URL workflow. Make sense?

Thanks.

2 Likes

I agree. I feel like this is incredible outdated. @emmanuel - is it possible to revisit this? It’s the number one complaint I receive from people.

10 Likes

Bumping this. Really needed!

6 Likes

Had a client ask if we could do this today. Wanted to bring it back up, so grateful for everything y’all do and would love if this got added to the queue.

1 Like

It’s possible using the Link element.

3 Likes

Can you use that along with an icon? I am trying to avoid the text specifically.

1 Like

What I end up doing is to put an icon, then add a link element on top of the icon, then group them both together. I delete all the text in the link element, but have it target the URL I want to navigate to. It’s hacky, but works perfectly.

Others may have found a way to use an icon instead of text for the link itself, but I never ventured down that path once I made this work.

5 Likes

That is really good to know! Thank you @andrewgassen

1 Like

Hey everyone! This solution work’s just right External link in workflow to open new tab

2 Likes

Hey Andrew, this solution is great but in this case we can lose access to the icon conditional logic such as “when hovered then change the icon colour”. I’d recommend trying this solution: External link in workflow to open new tab

2 Likes

Is it SEO friendly to do this? Since the link in itself is empty, Google may not like it?

I honestly have no idea. I’ve never spent a single second worrying about SEO for anything, so there’s a good chance this is a bad idea for that!

Hey guys, this post goes back 7 years, I hope this has been resolved?

I am looking for allowing my users to have the ability to open certain listings in a new tab, right now when you right-click a listing, it is either showing it as an image (if you right-click the image) or as text.

When I right-click the List’s image:

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 1.26.40 PM

When I right-click the List’s text:

The way I built the linkage to the pages is through the workflow’s “Navigate to Page”. How do I make it like this: (Where users can open multiple listings in multiple new tabs)

Hi! We just brought back the ability to open a page in a new tab on our native page navigation actions - note that popup blocking behavior must be disabled for this to work properly. Learn more: Open in a new tab for page nav actions