Can I make use of the camera on my mobile device?

Hey guys, I’m having a blast getting to know bubbles.is and have lots of app ideas. One is an app which takes a pic and references that pic to a database. This is a bit of a big leap for my first bubbles app but I’m just wondering if the camera is supported on phones to take photos and reference them to an outside database. Maybe QR codes even? A QR code is referenced to a database and the info pops up for the user either by external site or internal info.

Thanks.
Shane

Actually, Bubble isn’t ‘native’ app on iOs or Android, but coming soon in near future I heard. The moment Bubble becoming native, the access to Contacts, Camera, microphone, etc… will be all open available features. Oct 2016 maybe? Right now, Ziggeo is primitive for the job you need, in my point of view (add Ziggeo in Bubble plugin).

Right now I think the only way to get a picture into Bubble is the take a picture and then use the picture upload.

QR codes work fine with this …

https://buildingonbubble.com/block/qr-code-scanner-1469686113296x983831199370182700

1 Like

Hi @NigelG! Is there an update on takeing photos with Bubble?

Is the easiest way to just use the picture upload?

THANK YOU~
Nathan

Yes, believe it still is. But haven’t re-looked at this for a long time.

It is the only way, I think. Only problem is that it will display a selector asking if you want to Take a picture, select from album etc. This is the standard browser behaviour. But if you can live with that, it’s OK. For good UX, just make sure you implement some user feedback after the picture is taken, since it needs to be uploaded to the Bubble server before the user can continue. You can do this be creating a workflow that responds when the value of the picture input element has changed (for example use it to display a group with a “loading text”).

Checking in to see if this is working yet as this post is 2 years old.

Likewise, bumping this thread… have things now improved for allowing Bubble.is Web Apps to take photos?

Thanks

Check out BDK’s app maker.

1 Like

This is interesting. Have you used it?
I am still learning Bubble so wondering if I need to then learn a whole new platform

No, @gaurav has created a service that will take your Bubble app and make it work on Android and iOS as an app with a lot of native functionality, like using the device’s camera.

1 Like

Hi Rich!

If you use the Picture Uploader element, it will allow the user to take a picture using the device camera (at least it does on IOS, but I believe for Android as well,) as well as browse the Photo library.

–Ken

Looking to accelerate your app development?

Development of Advanced Apps at https://uniqueideas.com or schedule a free intro session :gift:

Ken Truesdale
LinkedIn

In addition to what @Kfawcett rightly said, I recommend checking out this documentation to see how it works :smile: You pretty much don’t need to learn anything new.

Also, why not actually try it out in a demo app !

1 Like