Connecting Workflow with API

Hey Guys!

I’m kind of a newbie here. I just finished my native app on bubble. Now I want to publish it to the appstore thru dropsource. The tutorial on how to connect the app to dropsource is specified only to creating data types on bubble and then creating the app itself on dropsource. I am currently using the webview on dropsource to test my app and all that. Question is… Can I publish my app thru dropsource thru the web view feature or do I need to create the app on dropsource? Also I have connected my API to dropsource from bubble. But I’m confused, I already created all the workflows thru bubble, do I need to change my workflows to API workflows or is it enough with giving the API access to the workflow on the API settings in bubble?

Hi,

You can publish to the app through dropsource, no need to create the app separately again. If you are using the web view, then you don’t need to connect APIs, since the app is essentially your bubble app wrapped in an app view.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anil

1 Like

Thanks it clears everything up! Also what dimensions do I put my app to so it scales to different screen sizes in different phones?
Thanks again!

I suggest you keep your page size at 320 px and no max width, it should scale well across all screen sizes.

Do like the post if this was of help :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Anil

1 Like

Does it scale for certain, because when I test it in dropsource it doesn’t. Also 320x what?

Dropsource will only show the view you create in bubble, so it takes the dimensions of the page. I meant 320px or pixels.

1 Like

Im confused because in bubble as far as I’ve seen you can only put the page dimesions ##x##. So when you say 320px you want me to put both the width and height at 320 (320x320).
Also does the app when published look the same exact way and size as it does in the dropsource simulator?
Thanks again!

Hi @janjofe, Sue from Dropsource here… :wave:

Just a headsup that if you plan on publishing an iOS app in the Apple App Store we strongly recommend that you do not just use a web view, because there’s a good chance it will not be accepted re the Apple guidelines. Dropsource is optimized for connecting mobile apps to external data sources, which is why our guidance focuses on connecting to your Bubble API, however you don’t need to do that specifically. If you can add any native functionality at all that should help your chance of the app being successfully published.

2 Likes

Thanks Sue, by native functionality, what do you mean exactly? Also how do I display my bubble app with workflows and all in dropsource if not thru web view? Thank You!

What native functionality you provide really depends on the purpose of your app, but including something other than the web view should help your chances of app store approval. If you want to connect to your Bubble workflows in your Dropsource app you will have to follow the process in our tutorial to connect to your API:

DO I have to connect the workflows as instructed in that tutorial if I’m using webview? Also is there any other way to connect my bubble app(UI) and workflows apart from a web view?
Thanks!

In general terms you have two choices:

• Connect to your workflows in your app using your Bubble API (as per the tutorial)
  • Use a web view without interacting directly with your Bubble workflows

Is there a reason you don’t want to use the process in the tutorial?

Hey Sue,

Any particular reason why you believe a web view will not be accepted? I have 2 apps published on iOS built in bubble that use web view. The only issue I ran into was the new iPad resolution screenshots. Other than that, Apple didn’t come back with any objections on the app.

Would like to understand if I missed something.

Regards,

Anil

Hi Anil, that’s great that your app was approved, however we have encountered many users whose apps were rejected due to not including enough native functionality and relying solely on web content… Apple’s guidelines might be a helpful reference:

Did you use webview thru dropsource? Also what dimensions did you use for your app on bubble? My app is intended for different phones and screen sizes and I’m having trouble with that.
Thank You!

No I used it with Thunkable. I kept the page width at 320px and it resized for different mobile screen sizes quite well

Nice! Im also using thunkable and have my width at 320, it is the recommended size for normal iphones but when I use the simulator on my iphone plus it doesn’t scale or resize. Did you run into the same issue? Should I worry or does all that change once I submit it for the appstore? Also what Height did you choose to use?

I did not face any issue while testing my app on an actual phone. I kept the height as 600 but that’ll depend on what the height of your groups is.

Oh, I’m really stuck here because I don’t know what to do through bubble so the app resizes to each different screen. When I test it in my phone through the thunkable simulator it stays the same size as I put in the bubble dimensions (iphone 6 regular not plus). It doesn’t rescale to my iphone plus size. :frowning:

You can’t resize height dynamically easily. For width, if you’re using webview, you’re going to need to use the Bubble responsive engine.