Creating and modifying a new thing by taking Input from different forms on same page

I am creating a new thing and want to input various values on upcoming three group forms.
Question : How do i get the newly created thing’s unique id stored and sent to form2,3,4

2 Likes

Hi @hkfaduio,

The unique ID is automatically generated as soon as you create the new Thing, but you don’t necessarily need to reference the ID specifically. You can send data for this. If your other forms are on the same page, set the group that contains each of those forms to the same type of that thing, and in your action that displays the form, use the display data action.

For example:

When Form Button 1 is clicked > Create new Order (this generates a unique ID) > Hide Form 1 > Show Form 2 > Display Data (Element = Form 2, Data to Display = Result of Step 1 (the step that creates new Order)

When Form Button 2 is clicked > Hide Form 2 > Show Form 3 > Display Data (Element = Form 3, Data to Display = Parent Group’s Order)

In Form 2’s case, you can use the “Parent Group’s Order” as the data source because we’ve sent the data to this group already from the previous form. Button 2 is inside the Form 2 group, which is how this is an available option. You can follow the same for Form 4.

Again, make sure that the groups have their type set to the Thing type, so that they can “expect” a specific record.

Let me know if this works for you.

Gaby | Coaching Bubble
Private coaching, courses, and tons of free resources

5 Likes

on doing any thing on form 2 Its giving me the error that i don’t have permission to modify this.

Check out your Privacy Tab (under Data), and look at the data type for the Thing. You might have roles set up that don’t allow modification, so you’d need to update something in there.

is it something to do with auto binding there?

Yes. Auto-binding requires you to have a privacy role set up, even if it’s one that keeps access open to everyone.

Even After Creating Roles i am getting same error Sorry, you do not have permission to modify this ??

Could you share a link to your editor and I can take a look?

Thanks! Can you make sure your privacy setting is set to public? General > Privacy (Everyone can read or Everyone can edit)

when i run the register location page it creates new thing but then i cannot modify on form2,3,4

privacy change done

Ok, I’m seeing a few reasons:

1. The privacy role is dependent on this new Location being in the Current User’s User Detail’s List of Locations. When you create a new Location, you don’t have an action for adding the new Location to the Current User’s User Detail (I added that).
  2. It doesn’t looks like you ever create a User Detail record to then save to the Current User’s User Detail field - you should do that (I’m assuming) right after the sign up action. Sign up > Create New User Detail > Make change to current user: User Detail = Result of Step 2
  3. Once you create the User Detail record, save it to the user, and then add the location to the User detail record when it’s created (I did that for you), then the privacy condition will be met.
  4. I also see that in your other Next buttons you’re modifying the Location by finding "Current User’s user detail records list of locations:last item) - you can simplify this by using “Parent Group’s Location” like I described earlier. I think you started this with the first Button, but just making sure you do it for the rest too.

Also - is there a reason you have a separate data type for User Detail? Why not include those fields directly to the User record?

Thanks a lot… got it sorted… now developing at a point where i want to post a query to all users or limited users(defined by certain criteria e.g. geographic location) and a page where people can create a pitch on it and refer locations id which can act as shortcut to open that pages.
Question : How can i take Location id from the input Text Box and on clicking submit get images from the id displayed in Pitch element(This i want as a repeating group).

I’ve been using Bubble now for a couple of weeks and trying to find my way around Bubble…

I’m also trying to build a similar MULTIPLE STEP ORDER FORM and in need of help…
I know the basic things of bubble so far
and I know the large parts on how to do this but having difficulties on how to transfer the data

Can somebody please advise me in large guidelines how to do this kind of order form?

The order process I’m trying to create is entirely on 1 page. (with show/hide groups)

1/ First I would create a group with explanation of the step process for the user, which is shown on page load.
AND a “start” button --> actions in workflow: (??)

• Create new thing “order”
  • Hide this group
  • Show the next group (“step 1: choose a box design”)

2/ Then a master group, type: “order”, divided into 4 seperate groups with the steps for the order process.
(hidden on page load)

–> group 1: "step 1: choose a box design"
the user can now select a design from a repeating group, containing an image, description and price of the design. Once the user clicks the image of the design:

• scroll to top of page
  • The image of the chosen design should be shown in a seperate group above the repeating group
  • total price: price step 1
  • and SHOW a hidden button just below the group with the chosen design (image)
    –> to go to the Next Step - -> actions workflow:
  • hide this group
  • show following group
    ( ? Now you would also have to make changes to the created ‘order’ ? )

–> group 2: "step 2: choose a product to go into the box"
the user can now select a product from a repeating group, containing an image of the product, description and price. Once the user clicks the image of the product:

• scroll to top of page
  • 2 image are shown !! in 2 seperate groups above the repeating group
    The image of the previous selected step
    The selected image in step 2
  • total price: price step 1 + Price Step 2
  • and SHOW a hidden button just below the group with the chosen design and product
  • hide this group
  • show following group

–> group 3: "step 3: add personal touch to the design"
the user can now select a product from a repeating group, containing an image of the product, description and price. Once the user clicks the image of the product:

• scroll to top of page
  • 3 image are shown !! in a seperate group above the repeating group
    The image of step 1
    The image of step 2
    The insered text and image of step 3
  • and SHOW a hidden button just below the group with the chosen design and product
  • hide this group
  • show following group

–> group 4: "summary of the order"
recap of the chosen things in step 1, 2 and 3

• input forms for the delivery adress
  • button add to a shopping bag or checkout

Thank you so much in advance for help!

Hi, maybe a bit late but check out how it’ s done in AirDev Canvas template.

1 Like