Do you have plans for offline Bubble apps?

Would what we’re sponsoring remove the need to have these programming skills?

Hey guys,

Weighing in on the DB sync here. We still should concider adding a middle layer to store data in-between the api calls to server and the end user interface. This middle layer would then make sure we can work with data throughout the app. For example you could then save a product to a list, and from another view you could then calculate the total value of items in list. If internet available the api response would go through that middle layer before the app uses the data.

We could even have a standard UI component that shows (You are offline and have 52 unsynced items.)
I would concider the below alternatives way before both sqlite, localstorage or websql:

http://lokijs.org/#/

I agree service workers can get us further, but what I described above would even give us the ability to preload mobile apps with standard data and even keep large parts of the application working when no internet.

1 Like

Very interesting - I agree, having the middle layer for syncing offline content would really boost functionality of Bubble for mobile projects. What are the implications / what are the necessary steps for Bubble to host this integration?

From the Github page, it looks like there are React components that need to be added into each native build.

I think it is an essential tool. I would greatly increase the sales of my app if it worked offline !! What should we do to implement?

I’m too stupid and too busy to figure this out myself but I have some money to spare. Would it be an idea to plan a couple of conference calls, maybe using appear.in so anyone can simply join, to get a scope of users needs and the possibilities?

Let’s say we do a couple of sessions so most timezones get a chance to weigh in. After the scope has been set, see what the budget needed would be and who would actually take this on (or a group of devs? @gurun’s resources?)

If there is an estimate, I’m pretty sure we can get this funded pretty quickly!

5 Likes

@supernaturally @scottb50 @csfalcao @funwtp
Thank you everybody who participate in this topic
Good news this feature now available in Bubble :smile:
[New Feature] Uploading files to the root directory

4 Likes

Please read my original post in article

The feature request was to support attaching file directly in root domain , which will give anyone attache files and scripts, by this way you can implement service worker Wich will make your website offline

So now they implement the feature but you have to attache the service worker script and handle the behiver of the app whenever goes offline either by caching assets and data or just use predifined content for offline mode

2 Likes

You can also attached mainifist (which is just text file with URLs that you want to catching for offline) it’s easy to make

1 Like

What happens if you implement this on a page that has dynamic content? You mentioned with static apps it just loads cached data but what is that data changes?

I dont see a lot of movement on the true offline stuff here proposed by @gurun but if this is a quick fix for the time being, I’m interested to implement. I’ll dive in the documentation once again.

2 Likes

impressive PWA PROGRESSIVE WEB APP

2 Likes

i found this site can we use this for PWA? if yes can you guys give us a tutorial on what to put to complete the generator?

https://preview.pwabuilder.com/generator

1 Like

will try it, Thanks for share
[update] it’s brilliant and easy to use :heart:

can you share how to use it? i don’t know much about PWA but i really like the idea of offline apps I’m not a pure developer also

PWA will give you ability to make offline app for Web, Android & iOS and Windows as well

For Static Offline its easy, just use the website https://preview.pwabuilder.com/generator , go through the wizard and fill forms , in last step download services workers, and assets and make other necessary steps as per platform below
This will cache assets, images, htmls, fonts, icons but make sure they are in Manifest file

For Dynamic Offline, little bit tricky and need programming skills specifically in JS,
Plus the above steps you need to tell service worker what to do when website/app goes offline [Cache Database OR use Predefined Data or Just to be Static HTML page]

Steps As per Platform
WEB
Download the files and add them to your website [BUBBLE -(YOUR APP)-> Settings TAB >> SEO & METATAGS >> HOSTING FILES IN ROOT DIRECTORY] more details here . Keep in mind different browsers will detect your Progressive Web App in different ways, but the manifest and service workers are required for each of them.

Android & iOS using Polyfill
Download your app package as Xcode and Android Studio , which you can be submitted to the play store and apple app store.

Check out screenshot tutorial walkthrough

Hope it helps :slight_smile: good luck

2 Likes

thank you so much for your tutorial it will help me and all bubble users that want their app to be used offline.

btw what do you mean by that? also what “File Name” should i put? will i upload the zip? or extract it first?

@jigsgfx.gj extract files and upload all one by one
[PWA Builder] will generate Manifest file , simply its JSON file with list of files need to be cache for offline mode
in most automated builder like [PWA Builder] may miss parts of your app not mentioned in the Manifest file

Did you implement this for your app?

The idea of Bubble is to create apps, not static websites so I doubt there are many apps that are completely static and will benefit from this. Could you add this to dynamic pages and have it only focus on the static stuff and ignore the dynamic? I guess its nice but it is exactly the dynamic stuff that gives performance issues.

The water is getting a bit murky with all these different offline options I have to say! But I have the feeling others are working on proper offline stuff as we speak…

1 Like

The benefit of making apps PWA not only Offline apps, it will make app fast to start and integrated into web browser

Yes, I tested the idea on Web app, Android and iOS it works fine but not finished yet I’m working on my project

Definitely it’s too complicated to choose which solution there’s many many options for making apps in these days, my advice focus on the option that matches your strength

Bubble Team also in there future plan they are working on native great apps solution, so for me I wanted to focus more on backend and website but with option to provide mobile native apps

1 Like

just thought I would add to the mix, here is my take on a bubble play store release, complete with service workers, full firebase reference from cloud messaging, AdMob, fully compliant SHA-1 Fingerprints, Both storage & live database added, Firebase authentication with options to switch on email/phone/google/facebook/twitter/GitHub or anon and the flick of a switch - I built a firebase plugin to bring bubble and firebase in line no matter what directions a signup or login comes from, Also sign in quota and multiple address (freebie hoarder) detection thanks to firebase, native push notifications, crash reporting, cloud functions, remote parameters & dynamic linking.

I built it in android studio (canary)

and its now on Google Play

live location & event view.

Individual live user snapshot viewer.

![Screenshot_2017-10-02-09-54-10|281x500] (upload://brmx2hsSUXTdt5qWV8x3KBFX71M.jpg)

It was a fun little project to play with and to be honest if someone with no code experience was to go down this road, they would see the other side. maybe a keyboard and possibly a monitor or two down, but they would get there.

1 Like