Does an autobind "workflow" always make a change in the database before a custom workflow based on a change in the input value pulls from the database?

I didn’t try the listener. We went with this scheduled custom event…for now.

Okay so I spent some time trying your setup - because I’ve only ever used single-tier custom event triggers. Here’s some tests at nesting, and they seem to only work like 80% of the time. I’m interested in knowing what type of calculations you’re doing that may take so long to run that workflow actions downstream trigger/complete first.

Editor

@neerja should this be considered a bug? Or are listeners not meant to be daisy chained?

Duke,

Thank you for diving into this. I will set up an open test environment with a similar setup, and put a link to the editor here.

Robert

@duke.severn Thanks for the helpful video. Broke it at 6 :slight_smile: We will investigate and post back.

My [limited] observations agree with that.

Update: I am still planning on working on this, and setting up a public test environment.

Sorry for the delay on this. I have done some more testing, and have come to the conclusion that ANY of these proposed solutions slows down the app too much (assuming there is more than a simple single calculation).

Dependent calculations (i.e. needing a subtotal first before moving along to the next calculation) simply takes Bubble a while to process back and forth in the workflow. It is a poor user experience, and it leaves open the possibility (albeit very low) for calculation errors.

For my app, I have abandoned all automated calculations (aside from autobinding), and use a “checker” system that uses conditional logic to determine if a calculated input is equal to the corresponding database field. If not, the system prompts the user to “Click to Save” which runs a workflow that saves these calculated inputs to the database.

Since autobinding handles most of the inputs, the workflow is relatively short (few fields), and requires no dependencies or delays, as every calculated field is calculated using the input field, not the database.

This has improved app performance dramatically, with the only downside being that the user must click a button to save on each page-view.

The lesson (for me at least) is to design your app around the capabilities and limitations of Bubble, rather that trying to bend Bubble to your will.

1 Like