Element tree improvements?

Here is an example of what I am saying.
the group create package is the only one visible for editing and the one with the icon is the only one not visible on page load when previewing the app.

It would be help if it was like this because the element tree is still confusing.

Well let us think about it and see what users say. May go back to that after allā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Combining the element tree and the old way is what I am describing. Keeping the element tree is good, just give the eye/icon to the elements that donā€™t load when the app is being previewed.

My thoughts would be to just make the eye a different color if it is not visible. It is really hard to see the visible and non visible eye on my element tree. However I do love love love the new way of organizing.

We just pushed a pretty big change, where you can pick to only show hideable entries, in which case itā€™s pretty close to what it was before.

4 Likes

Thanks Emmanuel. From the forum it seems that people are using the element tree is different ways depending on the way they build pages and this seems great.

I am a bit lost about the sorting in each mode though. What is the latest status ?

By position (we havenā€™t made change to the responsive view yet).

ok.

I would just like to voice that in the case described with screenshot above (and maybe for other single page apps) this makes it very hard to read the page structure.

When the number of elements gets significant and many of them are on the same high it would be very convenient to have control on the order on which the elements are displayed.

I have ~12 pages in a single page app using states to show/hide. If this is a bad design, please let me know how to adjust.

How is it worse than before?

It looks like this new sorting messed up my app?!

I use many different groups on a dashboard page and I have an invisible group that doesnā€™t show up when I send to the back but if I bring to the front then the menu isnā€™t clickable (even itā€™s hidden)

It canā€™t change the app object. So if you see something strange, please file a bug report.

Well before the alphabetical sorting allowed to define the logical components of the page through prefix. Which was really really great.

Actually I used prefixes that would match the page states triggering the hidden/visible status. This way it was really easy to play with the navigation.

Iā€™d be happy to show it via webex if it helps.

@emmanuel what if we could have another dropdown box below the element tree that has the old feature. If thatā€™s not to much to ask or if itā€™s not suggested already.

1 Like

For the element tree, I get that the position on the page makes sense, but when ā€œonly show hideableā€ is checked, I would prefer alphanumerical sorting.

At what point does everybodyā€™s opinion start to detract from progress that could be made on other features?

5 Likes

Agree

When youā€™re only showing hidden elements, itā€™s pretty much the same as before, so I donā€™t see a need to add something else.

2 Likes

Is it maybe possible to drag the element tree wider for element names thatā€™s to long to show?

Please note that the view with hidden elements only used to be hierarchical and is now flat.

I really dislike the new element tree. Iā€™m using a simple page as example:
Before I had this 5 ā€œhidden elementsā€ on the left. Itā€™s easy to see the text and the eye icon when its on.
I could use the top white menu ā€œelementā€ to view the entire list, or search.

On the new element tree, itā€™s a lot items (lose time to find something), the font is small (even at a 24" 1080 monitor). The vertical lines are distracting for me (I think just the indentation is fine), I donā€™t like the +/- (I prefer the triangle icon). The eye icon is frustrating (too small and thereā€™s no contrast so I canā€™t see whereā€™s a eye or crossed eye).

Thereā€™s some nice UI to try to get inspirations (apps like Atom, Brackets, Macaw, LightTable are nice examples).
Maybe the eye icon (when off) can show just when hovering the element line (makes the list less cluttered ).
I think if thereā€™s a search bar on it, and it will filter as we type itā€™d help a lot, but thereā€™s the main issue about it: I canā€™t understand the need to this element tree and the top ā€œelementā€ white menu, they both seems to do the same thing.