Forum Documentation Showcase Pricing Learn more

How are bubblers turning their web app into ios and android apps?

I am trying to figure out how people are creating a mobile app out of their bubble app. I have seen some course showing how to do it but they are using phonegap which I read in 2019 apple will not approved apps build with phonegap that they are slowly moving to only native apps?

Unless you’re using Bubble as a backend only, you’ll never end up with a truly native app. I don’t know how true the note on Apples policy is, but if it truly is moving to a native only approach, Bubble as a backend only is your best bet.

In this case, what would be the best tool out there for no coders to build the front end and connect to bubble?

Dropsource, Thunkable, Kinetise, possibly Supernova Studio. Jasonette is neat, too. Those are the options most commonly referenced in the forum here

Can anyone recommend out of that list which they have used I looked at dropsouce and supernova anyone used those.

Needs more info on this, Dropsource looks promising but $999 per app is ridiculous, Kinetise is the same pretty expensive.

i’m looking into Jasonette , Thunkable and Supernova Studio but have no idea which one is better and suited with bubble

I haven’t seen Thunkable or Supernova Studio leverage a Bubble backend yet. I’m talking to the Supernova guys about trying to get a working demo done, but they’re super busy now that they’re in YCombinator

Yes Supernova Studio looks amazing, but they are still not a very mature platform yet for us to rely on, based on the fact that they only support mac at the moment.

we might have to sacrifice using Bubble backend in our mobile apps :frowning_face:

having said that,i looked around and i like jasonette, even though it might not be the best UX for the users

I wonder if anyone have tried it and got decent result with it?

I built my app on Bubble and then used a web view in Xcode and Android Studio to build and release the native app on the stores. I don’t think Apple is moving away from Hybrid mobile apps, they are trying to move away from templated apps. If you build your Bubble app well and it feels like a native app and it looks like something that is useful and good quality, they will have no problem with it.

And then you’ll own all the code too!
A Webview in XCode is a weekend project.

I advise staying away from Thunkable for now, they still contain a lot of bugs and have bad business practices. You’ll end having more work stitching together their half-done features than you’d have by jumping into a “yes-code” solution.
Yes, I tried them, looked promising but greatly disappointed me. It feels like using an alpha-stage product, where they haven’t even finished a feature and already released them to the public.

you must try configureit. this is my honest review without commission. CIT is a very good tool.

I’ve looked at it, but so much of their site and documentation has terrible English, it scared me off. Also, not sure how well it worked with Bubble as a backend. Any experience there?

to connect the application i use api connector from the cit and integration logic with the integromat

Are any of these platforms offline-first capable?

dropsource supports offline capabilities, I haven’t tried it yet. configureit supports sql lite with api connector configuration. I hope the bubble will support Android devices in the future

is it true that apple wont accept phonegap apps in the store in 2019?

From what I understand, Apple wants the web wrapper apps to be differentiated from a website in some way (can’t cite a specific source on this). The way most people are doing this is by adding push notifications to their app with a 3rd party like https://onesignal.com/

Update: See 4.2 https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#minimum-functionality

4.2 Minimum Functionality

Your app should include features, content, and UI that elevate it beyond a repackaged website. If your app is not particularly useful, unique, or “app-like,” it doesn’t belong on the App Store. If your App doesn’t provide some sort of lasting entertainment value, or is just plain creepy, it may not be accepted. Apps that are simply a song or movie should be submitted to the iTunes Store. Apps that are simply a book or game guide should be submitted to the iBooks Store.