How does "Creating an account for someone else" work?

Has anyone ever gotten this to work?
I created a workflow where a user can create an account for someone else. However, there is no where to set the password. I’ve read that the user will be prompted to create a password upon login but this is not happening. Any help would be terrific as I’m sure many bubblers can benefit from this knowledge. Thanks guys!!

I use the, “Assign a temporary password to the user” action and make sure I send it to them in an email. Probably not the most secure way of doing it, but it’s getting the job done.

Thank you for the reply. Where do you retrieve the temp password?
I assumed it would be emailed to them but it is not…

You have to explicitly send them an email and include the temp password in that email.

But where do I retrieve the temp pw from? I put the action in the workflow but I do not see the temp pw in data or as something I can retrieve via an element… Thanks for all the help by the way…

We create a temporary password for them and store that in our database. Then, next time they log in we ask them to “create a password” but behind the scenes what we’re really doing is resetting their password.

It’s another way to do it. Not perfect, but more secure than emailing them a password.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I do too. You beat me to the response.

2 Likes

I appreciate both of your help on this.

When you say that you are creating a temp pw do you mean you are actually logging the user in with a pw you make up then logging out - and when the user comes to the site, you have the “temp pw” stored as the old pw, so they are actually just resetting their pw? I ask because, logging them in is the only way I see the ability to storing a pw to the database ahead of their initial “log in” - That makes a lot of sense if an admin were creating it but how would a random user go through that process without it seeming “janky”? Any thoughts there? …or am I way off?

I just create a field on the user called “temporary password,” that’s where I save the temporary password so I can call it again when I send the email to the user. They’ll use that password to login the first time, then be prompted to change their password immediately, and all is well with the world.

3 Likes

Got it! Thanks!

Great!
I am finishing my project and this was one of my left behinds!
I am glad I found your answer in this forum!!
Thanks!!

I’m late here but for those that would read this discussion, you can access the temporary pasword by using the “Result of step N (Assign a temp password…)” in a later step in the same workflow (for example a send email step).

2 Likes

Can a click of a button initiate create an account for someone else?

Simply connect any button to action:

Does this mean any user can initiate this process just by clicking on the button? Thanks.

Not sure I understand your question. Any user you give permission (see privacy). A lot of topics in this forum will guide you.