How to make a top-of-the-page "alert" that users can close themselves

Took me a few tries to figure this out, so thought I’d pass it along:

Loser: What I like about the alert element is that it can extend the full width of the page. What I don’t like is that the user doesn’t have control over when it disappears.

Loser: What I like about the group focus element is that the user has control over when it disappears. What I don’t like is that it can’t extend the full width of the page.

Loser: What I like about the group element is that it can extend the full width of the page AND, with the addition of a simple workflow with a hide action, the user has control over when it disappears. Unfortunately, since my main menu is a floating group, the group element hides behind it.

Winner: What I like about the floating group element is that it allows me to do everything. It can extend the full width of the page AND, with the addition of a simple workflow with a hide action, the user has control over when it disappears, AND, it shows up above my main menu as long as I ‘bring to front’.

Hope this helps someone :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I use “add pause before next action” and hide it after pause is complete. But the users can’t click a button to close the floating group before the pause action is complete. It seems like all other WFs stop working until that pause is complete.

In this case, users can’t control when a floating group is closed and have it close automatically.

Edit: It’s true. All other user click initiated workflows stop working during the pause.

Ok, this is solved by scheduling another custom event to hide the item, rather than a pause in a WF.