How to Video: Repeating Group (RG), Selecting an Item, and Showing it or Operating on it in a Popup / Pop-up

Dang I’m getting tired of seeing this same question over and over and over in the forums. This post is an attempt to make this information searchable and surfaceable, so please forgive the SEO type writing here…

If you’re looking to select (click on) an item in a repeating group (RG, Repeating Group, RGs, Repeating Groups), select that item and then operate on it… for example, display it in a pop-up (pop up, popup), or reveal details about the item in the repeating group, etc…

I made a video that explains it all. Here is my video about popups and Repeating Groups (Repeating Group):

I’ve linked this answer with various text around it, but apparently, people never find it. So forgive me for posting this yet again. :wink:

Another example of where this information is linked is this post reply about repeating groups and popups and selecting items, etc.:

Toward the end, I just cut off the video as I got into a bunch of silly rejiggering of the UI elements that’s not really interesting! However, by the time you get through most of this, you understand the idea(s) and are probably anxious to try it out for yourself! :wink:

26 Likes

Awesome, thank you for sharing :grinning:

1 Like

@keith, thanks for the walk-through. Quick question…

What’s the rationale for setting the custom state to an index as opposed to the thing itself?

1 Like

One of the best bubble training videos available!

Thanks, Keith

1 Like

:point_up: this question comes up SOOO much and it’s sooo easy – I think the problem is that folks new to Bubble have no concept of what expressions are. Anyway, how to click something in an RG and then do something with it: #lockdownandlearnwithkeith

Hi Keith, your videos are great thanks but the part where you added a type was not clear. Over and over watched this video and others but nowhere can i clearly see how to pass data from a RG into a popup text box.

Hi @keith - After the first 5 mins when you opened a popup and deleted it I thought I was almost done and you’d simply add an Edit button and show how to save changes vs deleting. But then you instead added a Duplicate button… and then built an editor… and then video cuts off before you explain how to save edits.

I just want a popup that pre-populates with existing values (thanks, your video shows me how to do that) but then after the user has made edits they hit a Save Changes button to update the database.

Anyway, you got me far enough to figure it out. But I do think a simpler video where you add the Edit button and show that when you hit that button you run a workflow that changes a thing’s data would solve the simple case of: Have object > Click Edit button > Show popup with fields populated > Allow user to edit and hit a Save button or delete with a Delete button.

Thanks for getting me on the right track!

still good in 2022 :slight_smile:

This topic should be fixed on the main forum! Shoutout to my man @keith ! TYVM

Still relevent in 2024! This is exactly what I needed! Thank you for making it!!