Lists: opposite of "intersects with" i.e "excluding" <list>

While Bubble has the ability to find items that occur in two lists it doesn’t seem to have the ability to exclude the items in one list from another.

It’s like having a + but no -

or have I missed something

(again)

cheers
Peter

1 Like

I haven’t done this myself but I think you can do list A doesn’t contain list B. You can also use :filtered and do another search with a contraint, but I know that’s not quite the same thing.

Hi Louisa,

Thanks for replying. Yes I had a look at the filter and it is a powerful tool but it doesn’t do the same thing. To put what I am looking for in basic set notation: A / B (or A - B) i.e the relative complement
For example A= a list of invitees B= a list of invitees who have RSVPed to their invite,
x ∈ A, i.e. x was invited.
I want to simply test is x ∈ (A-B) i.e has x yet to RSVP? without having to build a mile long query.
I can easily test A:intersects with B contains x
but not A:excludes B contains x.

Well, that does seem to overcomplicate things, when you could add “RSVPed = Yes” to the search, however …

Yes, it is possible to exclude on list from another, and you do use the filter, but it is in the “Advanced” part which is the option at the bottom, you may need to scroll so it can be missed.

I have a reepating group of just RED fruit (red= yes).

Now I can list out fruits that are not red by using …

3 Likes

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for that. I’ll see if I can get it to work.

I have a database of invitations with two lists of users: List A Invitees; List B RSVPed.
Sorry, but I don’t see how a list of RSVPs can be “yes”.

ta lots

Ah, ok, I thought you might be able to mark the invitations as having been RSVPed.

But the method outlined about should work if you have two lists.

Thanks! This was a real treat! I’m surprised there’s not a simple list_of_things:exclude already :thinking: Wouldn’t it make life much easier?

1 Like

You can accomplish this with the “:minus list” which allows the enhanced capability of excluding a list of Data Type A things by a comparable value of Data Type B things. This feature may not have been available in '17 for the OP’s use?

1 Like