Make changes to another user - do a search for only allows first item, random item, etc

Hi All,

I’m working on a scheduling app that providers can use to schedule appointments with customers. I’m trying to add a workflow so that when a provider completes the appointment setup for a new patient and clicks “book appointment” certain details are added to the customer’s user fields.

For example, every customer user’s data includes a list field for “provider’s email” so that I can link providers back to their customers. When a customer books an appointment with a provider for the first time, I need to add that provider’s email to the specific field in the customer user’s data.

There are a a few other elements I need to add to the customer user as well.

I’m getting confused because I thought I’d be able to do “do a search for” with constraints and then list the fields to change, but it won’t let me. It is making me choose “first item”, “random item,” “last item”, etc.

Can anyone help me understand how to change this and what these first/ last / random item selections mean?

I’d like to add to several pieces of info into the customer user data at once. For example, I was trying to update these fields BUT NOT for the current user (which is the provider) - I need to change these fields in the CUSTOMER user, also a USER data type that just has a yes/no field that identifies it.:

I wish I could have explained more succinctly but I’m really struggling, thanks for any help anyone can offer!!

Jamie

Any time you use “Do a Search For…” you are going to be getting a list of things back. In this case, you are looking for a specific user, so you would use the :first item command to get one thing to change, instead of a list of things.

2 Likes

Use First Item, it just refers to the first item in the list of data returned by the Do A Search For that matches the Do A Search For constraints you specified, and in this case as you used email as a constraint you’re going to return a ‘list’ that only has one user because email is unique, so first item will work :slight_smile:

Thank you both!

Just to confirm, the “first” is only in reference to the User in Thing to Change, right?
I can still list multiple fields to change for this one user? (as shown in the second picture above, I’d like to change three fields).

Thanks!!

1 Like

Yes, you are correct. You can change as many things as you want once you’ve chosen the specific user.

Yes exactly, it just returns the fist item of that data type (ie the first user) that matches email. You can change whatever fields you want within that record :slight_smile:

Thank you!!