Maybe the BIGGEST news for hybrid Mobile apps and Bubble!

Felicidades! …well at least I`m celebrating!

Ionic just announced a few very interesting things in their latest blogpost. (Some of this was published previously, but it became more clear to me now.)

Once Ionic 4 is ready, the new Ionic Web Components will work in Angular just as well as they will in Vue and React (*). One major benefit, is that they will also work without any framework at all, making it possible to use the components directly for rapid development and even for integration into existing jQuery codebases!

Yeah that last sentence is what is so wonderful for Bubble!
Also, Ionic have publicly decided not to move into the mBaas space, but stay more on the dev side. That gives Bubble great leverage to keep positioning well in this market by potentially utilizing these Ionic components.

For Ionic, Web Components mean that picking Ionic isn’t making a bet on Angular. Rather, it’s making a bet on the web and the shared language of Web Components. We want Ionic to be the “UI layer for the web” and the only way for us to achieve that is to move to standards that will work everywhere and be stable for decades.

My question then becomes, dear @emmanuel @josh what changes needs to be done to the plugin builder so that we can start experimenting with webcomponents like this for building even better hybrid mobile apps? And still see the webcomponent visualized in the editor in the same way that every other element is shown?

3 Likes

That is indeed a very interesting piece of news… when we added a few ionic elements we had to stick to the ones only using CSS as we couldn’t use their framework. So potentially things could be very different now.

I don’t think any change to the plugin system is needed to add such elements now. If you (or another developer) wants to start that’d be awesome, and we’ll follow this closely. We currently cannot focus on native stuff but I’d love to see how this goes before it being our priority.

1 Like