Forum Documentation Showcase Pricing Learn more

Mobile App Builder NO CODE Like Bubble

Does anyone know of the easiest way to create a mobile app that will connect to the Bubble database by API?

MUST be code-less, and as friction-less as Bubble is… i.e. point and click top level do this if that sort of programming… just like Bubble.

Thoughts?

Here’s a good example where he used bubble and wrapped it using adobe phonegap. That might be the quickest way to get onto an app store…

1 Like

This post outlines thunkable

seems super interesting, if you try it lemme know your thoughts yea?

1 Like

let me know what questions you might have

1 Like

I’m exploring the two links…

How does PhoneGap work exactly?

Do you simply build an app in bubble and plug it in and then you can submit it to the stores?

This is new to me!

There’s some headache that comes along with it. @natedogg does a good job explaining how to successfully take your zip file (bubble sends you when you’re ready to upload) and upload to the app store. I would suggest you do all of the lessons on bubble’s site and look to codelessacademy.com for instructions on how to upload.

Happy to help if you need it.

Ok. All lessons done and I’ve built a big app for desktop on bubble already… so all good there… now i’m just trying to get a phone app going.

I guess i need a second app that is just for PhoneGap to be used on mobile so it doesn’t download EVERYTHING in zip?

Are there specific docs for downloading and working on mobile with phonegap? in bubble docs?

Hm, I imagine you have all of your pages set up separately with your web app right?

You may have to rebuild if that’s the case. For mobile apps you need to have everything on one page, then set groups to show as needed.

Can you share a link to the web app?

Yes - it definitely will need to be re-built which is what i anticipated.

PM’d you the link…

I’ve been experimenting with tools like Thunkable and Dropsource. It is becoming clear that using these tools to compile the native applications while integrating Bubble as a webview could be the way to go. Since a native navigation bar can built using these tools, it seems like bubble might just be used to display data (repeating groups, groups, etc.) inside of a webview.

One thing great value proposition of these other platforms, is the ability to download and use the native source at any time. I believe the folks at Bubble (@emmanuel) have this in the works, but I could be wrong.

Have you been successful with building your navigation in Thunkable and just linking to different Bubble pages inside of a webview?

1 Like

It works fine. You might also download a template for phone-gap and use that.

I’ve since been learning Swift and a several other languages to create native experiences, so I don’t use builders too often anymore. Bubble has been very useful for augmenting the learning of other languages.

If the Bubble app is viewed though a web viewer (that is the actual native app), then isn’t it possible to keep the Bubble app as separate web pages, since the web viewer app loads these pages just as a browser would?

Absolutely. You can program your native wrapper to listen for various JavaScript events firing from your Bubble app and also program your Bubble app to listen for JavaScript events coming from the native wrapper - this will allow you to have full control of the native wrapper experience (syncing sidebar menu items with the correct Bubble page, using top/bottom icons in the wrapper to control Bubble’s page navigation, etc.). GoNative, for example, has this functionality pre-built into its wrapper.

Using a single page application will improve your UX/speed, but you’re definitely able to keep separate pages if your application calls for it. Using a well-designed loading modal, like any of the assets on loading.io, in between page loads is a great way to improve the UX. Slack does this on its desktop application, which is built on the Electron framework, when the user switches between different channels. Other apps, like Facebook, will use Ghost Elements in their UX.

I use Dropsource.

It’s quick and easy.

I use Jasonelle.

It’s super quick, super easy and super free :wink:

1 Like