[New Feature] Password strength on inputs

Hello,

We just added an improvement to the input element. When the type of content is set to ‘password’, you’ll be able to get the strength of the password, doing, for instance,

42%20AM

This returns a number between 0 and 100, 100 being a very strong password, and you can use this number to provide a feedback to users, as we did on our own homepage.

pw%20Strengh

49 Likes

Thanks!

Tiny improvements like this are actually pretty awesome! Much appreciated!

1 Like

Nice!

This is great @emmanuel

A minor change request - “strength” is spelled incorrectly (missing a “t”) in the Conditional options.

2 Likes

Yep good catch. We’ll fix that

2 Likes

Nice feature

Great! I could never figure out how to do that. Thanks! Makes it super easy now. :slight_smile:

This is awesome!! :slight_smile: Thank you so much!

Awesome feature, may seem tiny, but huge for users.

Nice feature, thank you :slight_smile:

Me gusta!, gracias por mejorar Bubble.

Nice feature! Something small but it makes it much easier (and probably reliable than doing it yourself. Thanks!

What is the “strength” base on?

2 Likes

Hi Emmanuel, what is the password strength based on? thanks jeff

It’s a combination of

1. length
  2. usage of capitalized and not capitalized
  3. usage of numbers
  4. usage of special characters

and usual bad passwords are flagged as very bad (a lot of people use password or hello as a password… These are bad)

7 Likes

ok great, thanks for clarifying.

hi
I’m having trouble with calculating random string when setting up user sign up pop up.

issue is - length of characters App Text (english)contains
App Text (English)

Hey Marty,

It’s literally just a text element sitting above the input field with a condition set so that when the password strength is greater than or equal to 80 - the text changes to “Strong password” and the colour changes to green.

Same is done for the other notifications i.e. “Weak” and “Medium”.
For all, you decide the strength level steps between 0 and 100.
So for “Medium” you could say greater than or equal to 50. You shouldn’t need to dictate a maximum (less than or equal to) if you have another higher condition set, but testing would prove this either way.

I hope that helps.

1 Like

Hey how are password strength and password policy supposed to work together. At the moment it seems like they dont really and having them both on at the same time creates for some confusing messaging sometimes (i.e red box around input but text is saying medium). Is there a way for the input outline to be red until it reaches a threshold in strength?

You know what - I think this feature is just incomplete. This is a really long non repeating letters and the password strength “detector” says its weak (less than strength 50)

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 8.26.34 AM

Its ~80 lower case characters. 80 lower case characters has p113 combinations. But “HelloWorld” reaches a strength of 50 even though its combination count is in the range of p17.

I think this feature needs more thought including how it measures strength and how it integrates with the password policy and with input form rules of “valid”.

1 Like