[New Feature] Using Sendgrid for emails

I am currently using MailJet for sending transactional emails and was just about to move to SendGrid until their free plan went out.
So far I haven’t had issues using MailJet directly but will try out their API through bubble.

I’m curious to know if anyone has had bad experiences using MailJet because I rarely see it being mentioned.

1 Like

Are you saying you can substitute sendgrid with sendinblue when it comes to sending emails out of Bubble?

Ah, ok. Just found this post: Send Beautiful HTML emails from Bubble Through API connector

Is it possible to go back to the old situation? I recently cloned my app and now have this sendgrid issue. I do not send a lot of emails and they should be just very plain and simple so at this point there is no need for sendgrid and since it’s $10 a month, it is not something I want to invest in at this point.

Sending out html emails is a very tricky business and asks for a really well designed template since there are so many variables. Not just responsive issues but also a lot of different ways your email will be displayed in various clients. It is something I want to look into but have no time at the moment.

1 Like

Use all caps %VAR1%

Sendinblue, and likely all the other email services, has the option to send the email body as html or text or both.

Using sendinblue via API is going to need a little reading of their docs to get the most out of it.

True dat :slight_smile:

Anyway, I figured it out so for everyone who is struggling with adding sendinblue and the good but outdated instructions by @levon, here are some additions:

I struggled a bit with getting the API to work, but some things seem to changed in sendinblue too. Make sure you are adding a new SMTP template and add that number to the end of the POST url. Its kind of confusing with the focus on campaigns and campaign templates.

In the Bubble API connector, I set it up like this:

Then the template has an attribute called ‘token’ and the action to reset a password for a user is to create an email in the actions but tick the ‘only create token’ box, then refer to that step in the next action where you send the sendinblue email.

1 Like

Thanks for detailing the steps, @vincent56.

Do the substitutions for FIRSTNAME, etc. allow for people putting in odd characters, like HTML code characters? I’m wondering how much data cleaning is required before sending …

Not sure I follow the question? Data cleaning where?

Like if a user name is Vincent>Vince, will the greater-than symbol mess with the html template?

@alvis
I’m also having issues using the sendgrid plugin: http://forum.bubble.io/t/sendgrid-plugin-specify-reply-to-email

How easy was it to setup the api connector yourself? Is there a guide or tips you can point to?

Looks like no issues:

field in Bubble:

Email from SendinBlue:

I see that this could be pretty confusing, but the email only picks up the first name for personalization (by choice) and adds a ! by default. So it picks up the name correctly.

1 Like

Sorry @emmanuel, but since SendGrid doesn’t offer any free plans at all anymore there should be another way to send email from the custom app domain and/or custom email address in my opinion. Are you working on an alternative method for this? I think it’s not good to force BUbble app owners to get a paid plan at SendGrid just for sending some admin emails for lost passwords etc. Please let me know about Bubble’s plans regarding this matter. Thanks in advance.

There is still a free plan for SendGrid : you get about 40,000 emails for free during the first month, then you are limited to 100 emails per day which is quite enough to start.

That being said, most emailing services are quite easy to call from the API connector so if you want to use another service, it is still possible :slight_smile:

The only exception I know is the confirmation email since we cannot generate a token for now…

That’s possible too, check this out

Thanks,
Levon.

Founder at Bubblewits - #1 no-code developer

http://bubblestore.io – a place to buy Bubble templates for landing pages, e-commerce, workflows, APIs etc.
http://iambubble.com - one page Bubble demo
http://builtwithoutcode.com/ - Collection of apps built on Bubble

1 Like

Or check out sendinblue. Very easy to implement. Information somewhere in the forum.

Nop, this is for password reset, but the option to generate a token for confirmation email (the email that is sent in order to confirm the email of a user) is not available. But please tell me if there is another solution available, I have been looking for that for several weeks now

FWIW This SendGrid thing is a huge step backward for me. I have only a few emails that go out per month, and now in addition to Bubble I have to pay an extra $120 per year. It appears that Bubble is targeting people with budgets larger than mine! I think that if other “feature expansions” or replacements get planned, it would be great if extra cost is taken into consideration.

Does Sendgrid not provide you with 2k of free emails per month?

Why not j just use sendinblue?

No Sendgrid doesn’t seem to do that anymore…free for 30 days then monthly fee.

May try that…sending data across seems like it’ll take some work…Sendgrid was already set up in Bubble so I started with that since it was so easy…