New Plugin! Turn Your Groups into a Carousel

Hey Bubblers!

I wanted to share a plugin I have been working on! It is currently in Beta, but I wanted to get some feedback as I look to make it ready to go in the next couple of weeks!

Essentially, this plugin lets you convert a few groups into a sliding carousel!

You can view a live demo and basic instructions HERE

And the Plugin page is HERE

I am hoping I could get some users who would be willing to try it out and let me know of any problems they encounter or possible feature requests!

Thanks,
Ryley Randall
brownfox.co

Note:
All Code in this project was built by Metafizzy, which I am using as under an open source license. When this plugin move to production, it is likely that all production users will need to purchase a license

15 Likes

Pretty cool. Is there a way that you have the the groups slide on a timer? I.E. every 3 seconds a new slide replaces the existing one.

1 Like

@proust007 thanks for checking it out!

Yeah, it already does that! The option speed (I am realizing that is probabaly not the best name) is where you can put in how long you want it to stay on each slide. If you don’t want it to slide automatically than you set the time to 0.
It also has the option to pause the automatic transition of the carousel is being hovered

Thanks again!

1 Like

Cool, thanks! Nice Plugin :slight_smile:

I would like to try this out for you. I was trying to do something like that myself. Can you do a full screen carousel? Will that fill the screen from top to botton too? That would be awesome.

This looks like a pretty great plug-in. I’d be very interested to test it. (Of course what we really want in Bubble land is a native RG that could behave like this, right?)

Anyway, I’d not seen that library before and it looks really cool.

1 Like

@J805, it is all based on the sizing of the groups! If you can get a single group to be the size you want, you can make the slider the same size! The plugin is available now publically if you want to try it out and give me some feedback that would be amazing!

@keith, I totally agree! I tried to convert a repeating group into a carousel and had no dice. I hope someone comes up with a solution soon. The plugin is now available publically if you want to try it out!

Thanks!

1 Like

Super cool, Ryley. I’ll check it out soon.

BTW, is there any reason you use unpkg rather than cdnjs as your CDN for the scripts here?

Those are CDN’s they provided in their docs, so I just decided to use them

1 Like

You should read this thread:

It would be much safer if you used CDN JS, the library for your plugin is found here: https://cdnjs.com/libraries/flickity

Or just use Cloudfront (upload the lib you need directly in the plug-in editor) as suggested by emmanuel in the same thread I mentioned. BTW, excellent tip on this courtesy of cobubble that is helpful even to non-plugin builders. See my comment there and following:

I uploaded the files and switched the CDN. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

@ryley.randall

I might have a great application for this. I run a Trivia site and looking for beautiful slides to run users selected trivia-questions. We kinda built a custom version of this but its not as pretty. We can replace our code with this and see how we go.

I am at the moment trying to using google slides to make it work offline too. I know this a long shot but is there any way we can download this carousel for offline use? That feature would just open so many doors and is really helpful, at least for me.

@ryley.randall

We are having the below problem of empty slides and appreciate if you can suggest a work around :

We run a Trivia app and tried to use your Carousel to display Trivia questions, one per slide. We placed a group element which acts a carousel and added 10 groups inside the carousel group. But in the instance where there are less than 10 questions there is no way to not display that slide and as a result we are having empty slides. For example user selects only 7 questions, 3 empty slides are being shown as empty at the end.

We think that if we could extract the “Slide Number” variable we might then use it to work around this issue and also to implement other requirements. Is there a way we can access this value ?

1 Like

Is the website with instructions still available? Maybe just need to update the link? @ryley.randall Thanks! :slight_smile:

Isn’t it a paid library… i.e. if the library is used without purchasing their commercial license it violates the terms & conditions?

Edit: Just noticed @ryley.randall had mentioned the same in the main post.

Yeah, you are exactly right.

Unless you are building an open source project that fits within their guidelines

1 Like

Did you delete the plugin? I’m trying to recreate the plugin, but I’m not that versed in plugin building.