Perfect Database Model for Tags?

I am building a Q&A website. For each Question there are several tags. Which is the best database model for this use case? Please tell me of the current options:

Option 1:
QuestionTable (one) → QuestionTag (many tags), and another field of type Question (multiple for each Tag).

I can see the problem in this model that there maybe millions of #tags and for each tag millions of questions in each entry for QuestionTag table. Isn’t this going to blow my database app when it scales?

Option 2
QuestionTable (one) → QuestionTag (one), there is field of type text (Tag) with multiple values. So for each QuestionID, there will be multiple tags in the same database record.

I am currently going with Option 2, but facing a technical problem where the list of texts (tags) are not seen as separate entities when seen from a dropdown list. I have tried checking on the forum for this problem in this inquiry but still it’s not clear how I can do it.

So as you can see in this image the list of texts are shown on the same line in the dropdown list.

Appreciate your knowledge to learn 2 things:

1. Which DB model option is best, 1 or 2?
  2. If I go with option 2, how do I separate list of texts to be one entry for each line?

The items should be in an array (what Bubble calls a list). If a “Tag” is something important in your data model, it should be its own data type, so that you can do things like retrieve all Tags with certain criteria via a search.

Some other object (of some other type) can then have a Tag or list of Tags attached to it.

2 Likes