Plugin pricing model

I would also ask fellow Bubblers would spend a few moments rating the plugins you use, it then helps us all to help ourselves :+1:

2 Likes

@josh I’d rather pay 200USD one time and I could use it in many apps as I want (within my account). In other words, there should be a one time pay option and a monthly recurring option. Every body should be able to access ALL plugin in development mode once sites are published the plugin has to be bough. I think it is important to be able to try things around. Have in mind some of the plugins are APIs depending on other SAAS solutions. If I am paying for the SAAS and paying for the monthly subscription it will eventually drive users out of bubble due to higher costs.

I think Also bubble could step in and regulate pricing, Quality and commitment. Many of the most impressive plugins were built on sponsorship basis. I am happy to pitch in and pay for such plugins when sponsorship is needed. No plugin should be sold outside the bubble eco-system. While it might seem like a lot of work it will pay off in the future.

Some plugins do not make sense in the long term for developer. As those plugins represent a feature that bubble should have anyway. For example notifications, mobile elements, canvases, and various payment plugins.

Those are my two cents.

4 Likes

After purchasing my first Plugin today I realised being on an annual plan I was charged for the plugin annually. I had no idea this option was available as it appears everyone pays monthly.

I prefer this and probably will be a surprise to others too!

was there any discount applied or it was simply the plugin price * 12 ?
Levon Terteryan
Founder @ Zeroqode & Bubblewits

let’s stay in touch on twitter!

zeroqode-for-web-160x120

Bubble Templates
Bubble Plugins
Bubble Courses
Convert Web to iOS & Android
No-code Development Services

Hey @levon

just a straight 12 x plugin price (pro rata)

So what is the advantage? If there is no discount it’s even worse :slight_smile:

Hi @JonL for me its easier to budget for!

I would also like to add, while I see the value in paying for a element which clearly adds value and fills in a gap and have purchased those which clearly qualify. Until today I did not really understand the concerns raised by @sridharan.s and others about functionality that would be considered core and primary functionality improvements being delegated to plugins.

Unfortunately, I am seeing a trend where simple changes to elements such as limitation on the ability to play with style on input elements being pushed as a plugin option. So where is the line in the sand here and does this mean that Bubble will never include feature updates to those elements, such as being able to extend the style (look and feel) of input elements.

As we become more invested in Bubble, where small changes have big impacts, this still needs to be addressed!

1 Like

I am also interested in this side of the discussion. Bubble will keep improving these core features and beyond. Ive had a few plugins rendered for the most part pointless as bubble make them core. It comes down to what people want - Be that before or after a plugin show’s the possibility or feature. One issue I have had is how flexible the road map can be when people start asking for something, what was not to be implemented or not on the radar soon becomes core if people ask for it, this really is how it should be but it seems to leave a few buying into the plugin and its new found feature set in their app & the masses requesting bubble to build it. What would be great is a method to compensate a developer for a decent plugin’s features or concept being made core if its not an outlined feature on the road map or brings a new method in solving an issue, then removing the plugin from future new purchases.

4 Likes

@levon inspired a new idea thanks to his last comment on the dropdowns.

If the plugin is top notch quality and you provide support to it within a contractually agreed SLA with Bubble it could be promoted to core somehow. Developers could receive some royalties from the Bubble Subscriptions provided that support and updates are constant.

It’s something that @Bubble would have to think about.

1. End users get improved functionality within core and constant support and updates from third-party developers bound by SLA contract.
  2. Developers get royalties from bubble subscriptions based on the usage of the plugin. Maybe even you could earn more due to the bigger paying user base.
  3. Bubble team may get a hit on the short term costs due to royalties, but on the other side they get a huge base of third-party developers improving the base product(without open sourcing it) and providing support on them, while they still focus on the strategy and future of the product.

it was Jarrad’s idea :slight_smile:

LOL I didn’t even read his comment. It was actually your comment of “what can we do?”. And the answer is nothing without Bubble taking some decisions. And that is why I wrote the piece.
But yes, @jarrad your idea is great :wink: I can’t disagree with it.

:slight_smile:

“What would be great is a method to compensate a developer for a decent plugin’s features or concept being made core if its not an outlined feature on the road map or brings a new method in solving an issue, then removing the plugin from future new purchases.”

I think this is the right concept to pursue. Currently, if a developer creates a really useful plugin with many subscribers, it is more likely to be made core than a less useful one, which creates a disincentive. This needs to be turned around, 180 degrees, into an incentive. Perhaps some kind of formula (royalty or otherwise), so everyone has clarity on what the deal is.

1 Like

I for one would be diving deeper into untouched concepts and having a system like that it would be in my best interest to release them for free and gather interest.

Just thought I would throw this into the mix… Survey results from PB site.

5 Likes

Well from that It seems that monthly subscriptions could be hurting developers big time.

I would venture to say Bubble probably wants to enforce a subscription model so that they get a monthly cut of the plugin subscription.

Wouldn’t you say one of the reasons Wordpress dominates the web is because of their plugin ecosystem? I don’t see Wordpress core team taking monthly cuts there.

Don’t want to compare both platforms but just saying :slight_smile:

https://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/content_management/all

I do see Bubble charging for extremely premium plugins developed by them or even a freemium model, but I have a very hard time trying to understand Bubble taking commission from the very people that are improving Bubble platform.

Sounds morally wrong. And I believe it’s not good business for Bubble in the long run.

To be clear.

I do see Bubble charging for extremely premium plugins developed by them or even a freemium model, but I have a very hard time trying to understand Bubble taking commission from the very people that are improving Bubble platform.

They actually do this. Take the Discourse SSO plugin. It is bound to a subscription upgrade.