[Plugin Update: Oct 17, 2019] BDK Text Editor

[New Plugin updates] 11/10/2018

1. Added ability to dynamically change placeholder in conditional formatting
  2. Added ability to dynamically set initial content in conditional formatting
  3. Added element action ‘Toggle read-only mode’ to enable or disable read-only mode on better text editor via workflow

Enjoy the Better Text Editor !!

3 Likes

Plugin Update (Dec 6):
You can now paste images from clipboard.
Simply update the plugin in your plugins tab and refresh your bubble app.

Feel free to try it out at the demo page

Enjoy! :smiley:

Are images and media added via the Bdk Editor saved as public files? If yes, do you have plans to allow private file attachments?

Edit: I tried to interact with the editor on the demo page you linked to above, but every time I try adding content the app freezes and crashes/times out. (Chrome Version 70.0.3538.110 64-bit MacOS 10)

Edit 2: On my 4th attempt to add an image it worked. Took about 45 seconds to unfreeze the editor for a 147kb PNG. I’m guessing it’s due to the plugin converting images to inline base64. Is this a performance issue with the plugin or the fact the demo page is on a hobby plan? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to decide if I should subscribe.

Edit 3: 26x5:17 layout_resizing_key failed to return after 30 seconds. seems to be the issue (appears in console) when testing in my browser. I’m going through and disabling extensions to see if there’s a conflict somewhere.

2 Likes

@philip I’m using this plugin in my app and have not experienced any delay in pasting an image. I also went to the demo site and do not show any delay in pasting or uploading an image. I’m using Chrome (v 71.x) on Windows 10.

I can say that @gaurav is extremely helpful when bugs are encountered and that he has been quickly adding new features that have been requested.

Even if you subscribe and decide it’s not going to work, you can unsubscribe.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I’m not trying to make it seem like the plugin is broken, only mentioning my experience. I didn’t see a support email so figured posting on the thread was the best path forward.

Hi @philip,

Sorry for the delayed response. Was away for the weekend. Regarding your questions related to image attachments:

1. None of the images are stored on any external service. The images are stored in the text output as base64 format. So when you paste an image, it really gets stored in the text field where you save contents of the editor.

2. I do have a plan to allow you to upload images to your own bubble app directly :smiley: Just testing a solution. I’m not comfortable hosting a server which will get your images as that would violate your image privacy.

3. Regarding the image that took 45 seconds, that seems to be pretty unusual. I’ve pasted images 5-6 times the size before and that too is far quicker. Based on the error, it could be an issue with the ‘Enable image resizing’. Try disabling it to check if the speed is quicker. Also try on a new page / app if possible.

Thanks!
Gaurav

2 Likes

[New Plugin Updates] Dec 20, 2018

Just released an update to the plugin.
Now you can ‘Stretch to fit content’ the text editor. Enjoy :smiley:

1 Like

Awesome plugin (again), @gaurav!

I just have one issue with @mentions, because the dropdown options are not always visible for the user, depending on the height of the editor…

In this forum for example, we can see the @mention options because they come on top of the editor, not inside.

2 Likes

Yep yep I’m looking into this. :slight_smile:

New update to the plugin:

1 Like

This feature is added now

This is fixed. Please update:

2 Likes

Loving it. Noticed that border radious doesn’t work. It stays square.

Hey @gaurav,

Very nice and flexible Plugin!

I wanted to ask if it is possible to

1. Change the options of text size from different Heading sizes to only one ( like one Button which changes the size to h3 and back to normal)

2. using the air mode and the toolbar together

3. getting images from other sources (like opening another element where the user can pick an image from the database which then will be used in the editor)

4. Linking a mention/hashtag/slashtag to another page with the data

Also I have the following problems:

1. It takes about 4-5 secounds until the editor is visible

2. The editor then automatically sets the focus to the input

Thank you for your great work!

Berkay

Thanks for a great plugin @gaurav

The editor then automatically sets the focus to the input

+1 on this, Any way to avoid it?

Hi @byIR

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you found the plugin useful. Sorry for the delayed response.

1. It should be possible but its pretty challenging to customize the bubble element property editor to open up this whole list of possibilities without cluttering the bubble element property editor. I’ll see what I can do cleanly here

2. Air mode does include toolbar that shows up when you select the content. Are you saying you want both the upper toolbar and the toolbar when content is selected?

3. Not sure I understand fully. There’s already image paste, image drag-and-drop from other apps, as well as upload from the system by clicking the image icon in the toolbar. Can you give an example of other sources?

4. I’m not sure I understood this one at all.

Regarding the issues you mentioned:

1. The real reason for that is I wait for the page to be rendered before starting the plugin initialization. This prevents random errors from popping up but at the cost of that slight delay on page load. If its taking 4-5 seconds there must be something on your page which is causing the document to not be ready yet. Also note that the files get cached the first time page is loaded on a browser so on next visit it should be faster

2. Would be super helpful if you could share a recording for this as I’m unable to reproduce this bug

Cheers,
Gaurav

Hello!

Any chance the light grey border can be turned off?

Thanks!
Jen

Hi,
It gets turned off in the air mode automatically

Oh yay! Thanks!

And, am I right in thinking that I can add fonts to things like the hashtags but not for the main body/H tags? Are those more limited?

Thanks again!
Jen

Is there any way to add multiple text editors onto a page at once? Right now I have two on the page, but it always seems to grab the content from only one of them.