Forum Documentation Showcase Pricing Learn more

[Plugins for Beginners] - Publishing Your Plugin

So you’ve been creating your plugin in test mode, and now you want try it out as a published plugin. What’s involved?

1. Over in the Versions and Licence Section of your plugin, you (hopefully) have already got your app listed as the “Test App”. So you now need to list it as one of the “Authorized Apps”.

2. You can now click on “Submit a New Version” just below, to create your first Published version. It may well kick up some errors along the way which may be unclear as to how to fix. For me, I had:
    (a) An element which didn’t have an edit placeholder image. I had to create a little image with some text on in an image editor, and upload it on the Element - General Properties page (first line)
    (b) Some fields I had been experimenting with which didn’t have complete specifications - so I had to fill those in correctly.
    Then I was able to publish.

3. Back in the Bubble App Editor, you need to refresh the browser page so your newly published plugin is recognised. Go to the plugins tab, find and install it.

Now You Have Two of the Same Plugin!
Then the confusing bit… you now have two versions of your plugin available to you - the testing version and the published version. When you are in workflows and you do an Add Action -> Plugins, two of the same action appear and you’ve no idea which one is which!

So all your calls to actions etc in your app so far are to the testing version of your plugin. To use your published version, you need to make new calls. So what I did was to uninstall the testing version of the plugin, so I could now only see the published version’s actions in Add Action.

In my workflows, I clearly marked the existing plugin calls as being made to the testing version.

I then create new workflows with calls to the published version as I saw appropriate, labelled them appropriately, and checked they ran okay.
Then when I wanted to go back to using the testing version actions, I re-installed the testing version of the plugin so the testing version actions would function okay.

Why Publish?
If like me, your plugin is just for your own app, you may wonder why you need to publish. Well apparently, your javascript will run faster. I’ve yet to verify the details of this for me, but will update here if I find out more. Certainly if the difference is not very large, I think I will stay with the test version, as I have lots of calls to the plugin’s actions, and switching between them is tedious. But I may change my mind as I get further down the road…

I’m also not sure if I can run the testing version of the plugin in a published version of my app… Hmmm… be interested to hear if anyone knows the answer to that.

I hope that all makes sense! :slight_smile:

[Plugins for Beginners] - Tips I Have Written