Retrieve Rows Where Current User ID is not In the Data

Hi,
I am building an auction site, something like eBay. I have a table where there are rows for each unique bid. When the current user bids on an item, they will have a row in that table, when other users bid on the same item they will have a row in the same table.

The (bidding) table has an “item_id” to uniquely identify each item.

So…I want to retrieve ALL the rows for all the items from the bidding table that the
current user bid on.
Some or many of these rows will not have the current user’s id in the “created_by” column which all tables have by default. [I might have the wrong column name, but any new table has a created_by, created_date and last_update_date column]

Please advise on how to pull or query this data so I can populate a repeating group.

Thanks in Advance!

Constrain your search so that “Created By = Current User”.

If you have rows that have no “created by” then someone was not logged in when the row was created.

This may be valid, but I would imagine not. So make sure the User is always logged in. You can do this by putting a condition on the page load to redirect them, or pop the login dialog if not.

Nigel, thanks for your reply…HOWEVER you didn’t read the question carefully.

Not all of the rows that I need returned – are created by the current user.

If the current user bids on an item once, there’s one row (and only one row), where the “created_by” id is the current user… but two other (different) users also bid on the exact same item, and those two rows which I need returned have their user id (a different user id) for the “created by” id.

I need all the rows REGARDLESS of who bid on the (regardless of whose “created_by” id is in the row), for all the items the current user bids on.

In SQL, I would do something like this:
select * from bidding where item_no in (select distinct item_no from bidding where created_by = current_user_id)

The sub query gives me a list of distinct items the current user has bid on, and top query gives all of the bids or rows for those items, regardless of who, or which user bid on them.

Piece of cake in SQL…

P L E A S E… how can I pull this off in Bubble?

On every item, have a list of type users. When a user bids on an item, add the current user. When you do your search, constrain it to “…contains current user”

Could you have an additional field (that you) add like Owner (type User) and restrain your search on that. Just an idea, haven’t read in-depth.

Jaos… thanks, but it won’t work

The grain of data in the bidding table is a bid, not an item. You’ve never used eBay?

An item has many bids, although it takes some time before people bid on it, and each unique bid is by a different unique user.

Each unique bid, by a unique user has data I want.

Please read… there’s already a “created by” id in every table, the problem is that many of the bids that I want are not created by the current user, they’re created by different users who are also bidding on the same item.

Not sure on what you want to accomplish. All the bids has a creator so the data you want to extract would be “…bid’s creator’s…”

I don’t know why you answer like they are obligated to help you. You could answer in other attitude, sorry for saying that but it’s not the first time I read this from you.

I understand sometimes when you have no experience using a platform it’s frustrating when nothing is working as you want. You can keep reading and trying, that’s how we learned most of us. If you are on a time hurry then you should consider about hiring someone. But it’s not possible learn and trying to finish a project of this size, something like eBay.

Btw good luck.

3 Likes

You can do that in Bubble by adding “Listing” as a field on each bid (with Type of Listing).

Then just pull back Bid’s Listings: Unique Items.

Unique Items = Select Distinct.

Otherwise you can count the intersection of Bids with this Creator with Listing’s That have this Listing in their List of Bids. If the count > 0 then it should be included.

1 Like

Well…I clearly explained the problem. I provided a SQL statement that would return the result set I need… but the so-called experts CAN’T SEEM to tell me how to do this in the “wonderful” software, that’s “supposed” to be so easy

Look, if you told me you needed directions to go to San Francisco in California, and I clearly knew where you were going, and I stood there for 1/2 hour telling you about how to get to Arkansas and how wonderful Florida is… I think you’d be frustrated too.

Nigel…Honestly, thank you for this. I’ll try that when I get back from vacation.

To make sure I understand. I’ll add a column on the bids or bidding table called listing. What data type is listing?

If a particular listing had five bids (give rows in the bidding table), by five different users … they would all have the same listing number , correct?

Remember, I don’t want all the listings, I want that as a superset, but in the end I want only the listings that the current user placed a bid in.

Thanks again for taking time to help.

Well…The company could provide clear and full documentation… as opposed to childlike videos that barely cover the basics.

@akerezy my last message about this but…

You have to understand the support mainly is offered by the forum, community. Bubble as a company is still very young, they said in a couple times, they have a small team. IMO the size bubble as a company and what they did has no words.

By that, you must know a good documentation takes sometimes more time than the development. Of course, its a must a documentation requirement when it’s a no-code experience tool. But still needs some “knowledge” and some logic basis. About the “experts” you said, well… there’s no course to “certify” someone as an expert. Expert is grown by the community. I talk to me, but I think other’s will be on the same line. But we help people, just because we like to help others. But we don’t get anything from that.

Bubble has a big documentation, but its normal you are having some difficulties on this because there’s any bubble specific ebay example.

The tutorials are for understanding the general basis, and how bubble works. Not for teaching you how to build ebay portal. That’s something you will do, using the experience that you got from tutorials, and what you learn from reading… We tried many platforms, and before bubble, we were using other’s which requires full code. When we started using bubble, we spent around 1 month, only reading forums / and searching for interesting stuff that others shared in the forum.

We didn’t try to start in 3 days a project to build ebay portal. You have registered 3 days ago, and you are trying to do something that if you weren’t using bubble will require a BIG team, money, and months of full development.

I’m not saying about why you asking o something like that, you are so welcome to ask, the forum is for that, to ask, share stuff/opinions but I think you could answer to the people that are trying to help you bit better.

You could avoid comments like: “you didn’t read the question carefully” or “You’ve never used eBay”…
I usually don’t post this kind of messages, because it’s not my duty, but had to do.

As I said, don’t give up. Keep reading. In this forum, you will find all that you need. But you can’t do it all in 3 days.

PS: Develop an app its not like ask for a street :joy:

However sorry for the off-topic.
Best of luck!

3 Likes

Yes, that is right. The type would be listing, and you would be referencing the “parent” in this case (so going from many to one.

So yes, they would all have the same listing object, so the same listing number.

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.