Safari message: "This webpage is using significant memory. Closing it may improve the responsiveness of your Mac."

Lately, I’ve been getting the following warning message in Safari on my Mac while using the Bubble Editor: “This webpage is using significant memory. Closing it may improve the responsiveness of your Mac.”

Am I doing something wrong? Are there any adjustments I can make to reduce memory usage while using the Bubble Editor?

Never had that type of message (Safari or Chrome) with 8gig of ram (2015) on ver 10.14 macOS. Unless your project is bigger than expected, but I doubt about it :wink:
I will recommend to add memory (if needed).

The good news ‘may improve the responsiveness’.

@emasl Check your browser Network tab to see which processes are running and whether your app page is downloading large amounts of data

Crashing about every hour here.

Chrome runs out of memory. And this is on a powerful desktop.

@emasl @NigelG Could you send support a bug report with app link and info on any browser/OS we should use while testing.

1 Like

One more thing to check if the slowness is in the editor is try with issues checker off by adding ‘&issues_off=true’ to the url.

The main “bubble.is” page also falls over at the same time.

@NigelG Ok please send a bug report with any console error etc that shows in Safari. We can access both Bubble homepage and test apps on Safari so there might be something specific to test conditions.

Thanks, will do.

Hi @neerja,

What is the consequence having OFF the issues ( &issues_off=true ) ? When to put it back? Faster if used in Live?

Entering this parameter disables the real-time issue checker inside the editor. Although the issue checker is a useful feature, it can come at significant expense of performance and responsiveness inside the editor–especially with large and complex pages (such as single page applications with many hidden elements on the same page).

You would re-enable the checker by removing the parameter before testing, deployment, or every so often as needed.

I’m guessing that the issue checker is serially going through every single element / expression on the page. It seems to do this in real time as changes are made. This causes extremely poor editor performance on the page. I experience significant lag after selecting page elements, tools & menus, expressions–pretty much everything–and CPU usage spikes. I’d guess there real-time communication with bubble servers involved with the checker too, which means your network connection could have a role to play.

In either case, it has been my experience that the more elements / expressions you have on the page, the longer the checker takes after every change you make to the page. Beyond that, when a page has many elements, the editor performance can become brutally slow over time–requiring a browser refresh every 30-60 minutes to simply avoid performance problems to the point of completely crashing. I’ve also noticed that the more unaddressed outstanding ‘issues’ that you have, the slower the checker becomes (on top of everything else).

This is pretty central to the UX of bubble and I hope the editor performance is something that ends up getting prioritized in the coming months as bubble gets its new funding.

From my armchair:
I would take a rough guess that reworking the checker to only track incremental changes vs everything on the page, building in some JS debouncing (or semi real time checking), implementing service workers to independently thread the checker process could all help immensely. Hardware upgrades from users won’t likely solve this issue.

In the mean time, how about a toggle to turn off the real-time checker? @neerja

1 Like

@emasl I develop on a 32GB ram, 6 core i9 macbook and get the same message as you on safari. I can ignore the message since the responsiveness stays good, but after a while the editor become choppy and buggy.

So I refresh the editor’s page and I’m good for another 5-6 hours.

2 Likes

Was about to say, I have 32GB Ram in my iMac Retina, and still get the same issue! A hard browser refresh fixes it

I have Chrome Task Manager (in the More Tools section) to tell me when it’s time to stop using tab… macpro 8 gig :slight_smile: Btw, in my case it happens when I keep the same tab and open many pages during my session. As soon as I stop this, life is easier.

38%20PM

Didn’t know about the task manager. I know that the editor page ends up taking over 2GB of ram before I hit the refresh button.

Btw, in my case it happens when I keep the same tab and open many pages during my session

Pages in your app? In my case I tend to make single web page app…

Hi @julienallard1

When the app is too large, it becomes a speed problem and runs very slowly on phones. But today, with our advanced knowledge of Bubble, we can do almost all the processing with the Workflow APIs, which makes apps much less burdensome. Have a nice weekend :slight_smile:

Maybe you’re loading too much data.

Look into privacy rules to reduce the amount of data you load

and also, verify if you’ve got stuff with “ignore empty constraints” because this loads all the data if a constraint evaluates to null, all items will be returned, so if you’ve got like 100 000 items it’s going to use a lot of ressources and then crash.

1 Like