Search for a single item- functionality like vlookup

I am a brand new Bubbler. I am building an app that requires using a lookup function to pull data out of table just like a vlookup function would do in excel. So in a previous step of my workflow I created a number that is in my table’s primary field, and now I want to use that number to pull data from the row of the primary field. I only want one number and not a list of numbers and I can’t figure out how to do this. I’ve figured out how to use the “only when” feature to define which column I want to pull the data from, but I can’t figure out how to be able to just reference the one row that I want to pull data from.
It seems like a vlookup should be a pretty common function, but I haven’t found any answer in the forum, reference or manual that tells me how to do this.

To get a single row back from a Search, you add :first item.

Although if you are doing this in a workflow, then you don’t need to do this, as you can just refer to the Step’s thing (e.g. result of Step 1’s number).

Although “vlookup” isn’t really how the Bubble database works, as we can link things using Bubble’s fields which is much much easier. You may well be making life complicated for yourself with your data structure.

Thanks for the help. I’m not sure I fully understand yet what could be wrong with my data structure but I did figure out how to create a vlookup like function to be able to use in my app.

Hi Nigel - I’m also facing a similar problem and would like to better understand your response.

I am pulling individual items into a repeating group via an API and want to be able to identify the index (item #) of the specific row of my repeating group based on one of the items in that row.

I’m using functions like “:count” and “item #” which are working properly… Am looking for something more like:
:# of item “___”