Seeking the Holy Grail of Drag and Drop

Please help if you can, I am stuck on a feature that is essential for my app and I think it’s a key feature a lot of apps would benefit from.

I have built a solid core of a project tracking system, and here’s the holy grail I am missing:

I need users to be able to order items in a repeating group. For instance, I need to easily be able to drag items to where they are wanted in the list (RG) with other items keeping their relative position.

As an example, if a list is in this sequence:
Apple
Banana
Cherry
Rhubarb
Strawberry

and I drag Rhubarb over Banana, the sequence should become this:
Apple
Rhubarb
Banana
Cherry
Strawberry

In a lengthy topic discussion (link to follow), The example showed how to implement a drag-drop where the dragged item trades places with the one it’s dropped on. I have made that work.

Later in the discussion, a question is raised about doing what I need. The answer baffled me. I am unable to figure out what it means and how to implement what I need.

Here’s the answer that has me stumped:

Here’s the top of the discussion:

I don’t understand how to use groups to retrieve values (the relative position of the cell’s content) of any cell other than the one that was dragged and the one dropped on. I also need a value from the cell below the one dropped on.

Is there a tutorial I should study that talks about how to refer to specific cells in a RG?

Is there something else I should know that is implied by “use groups to retrieve …”?

I have finally solved this. The plugin will be available in a day or two. You can even sort between multiple lists… its got nothing to do with moveit, im pointing out the gif in the last post.

4 Likes

The animation looks like exactly what I and other people need. Please let me know when it’s ready for me to test.
Thanks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.