Send a confirmation email to a User that someone else creates

Does anyone know how to send a confirmation email to a user that someone else created. The only option right now is to send confirmation email and it gets sent to the user who created the account for the other user and not the new user. Not sure if this is possible. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, maybe you solved this already, but, canā€™t you simply create an email to that created user off the form info that the existing user input?

1 Like

One way could be to start a workflow action with ā€œCreate an account for someone elseā€, then create a boolean on the user (maybe ā€œUser Confirmedā€) and set the default value to ā€œnoā€.

STEP 2 > ā€œSend password reset emailā€ so that the only way the user can log in, is by resetting their password via the email. Once theyā€™ve reset theyā€™re email, run a workflow that sets the ā€œUser Confirmedā€ boolean from ā€œnoā€ to ā€œyesā€ when the user logs in. At least youā€™ll know that they have seen the email if they have logged in because they couldnā€™t possibly do so if you sent a reset password email.

1 Like

Hello,
Iā€™m sorry to revive this but Iā€™m wondering if thereā€™s another approach to having a new user set their password rather than using the ā€œSend password reset emailā€. Iā€™m creating new users and it looks strange to have them get a link to reset password. Most people would see a reset password page as meaning they forgot their password.
Iā€™m new to Bubble and canā€™t seem to find a way around this.
Please, advise.

1 Like

Hey @yadeogun :wave:

Welcome to the Bubble Community! :raised_hands:

So what I end up doing sometimes is sending some parameter along with the password reset so then I turn the page into a ā€œSet your passwordā€ page. So if it had a parameter of newUser=yes the pw_reset page would change the text to what I want it to say.

Does that make sense? Need me to set up an example for you? Let me know. :blush:

Hello @J805 ,
It does make sense. But the main challenge is that i donā€™t see the link in the email sent for password reset to be able to append a parameter to it. I did consider that if I knew the link, then I can append additional parameters to it.
I would appreciate if you could help set up an example just so, i understand what iā€™m missing.
thanks.

Sure. There is a checkbox that says donā€™t send email, just create token.

I will try to set up an example for you maybe tomorrow if I have some time between sessions. :blush:

I would appreciate that. Thanks.

Ok @yadeogun, here is the example for you:

Editor: New-user-password | Bubble Editor

Preview: http://new-user-password.bubbleapps.io/version-test/new_user_with_password_reset?debug_mode=true

Hope that helps! :blush:

@j805 www.NoCodeMinute.com

For All Your No-Code Education Needs:

1 Like

@J805
Thanks so much. It does help and gives me additional insight.

1 Like

@yadeogun Awesome! Let me know if you have any other questions about it. :blush:

Hello @J805 sorry Iā€™m bringing this up again but I noticed that the token created when you use the reset password button is actually for the current user that ran the process not for the email address it is sent to.
I did a reset password and wondered why I couldnā€™t login with the password. Then, I discovered, using a pop-up, that it was because the token generated was tied to the user that ran the process and not my planned user.
Can you please, check with your app as well, if you havenā€™t deleted it already?
I tired to use the magic link on that same reset page just by directing it to that page at login but then, it gave me an error that I used the wrong page but of course had the right user context. The only action for password setting in a regular flow is the ā€œUpdate user credentialsā€ which needs an old password.
Iā€™m already thinking of going the approach of signing the user up with a temporary password they donā€™t know and then using the update credentials to change to whatever password they have on the page.
Whats your thoughts on that please?

Hmm :thinking:

I double checked the workflow. I create the user without even being logged in. Itā€™s based off of the input, not the current user. Maybe double check the password reset to make sure it doesnā€™t say current user?

Maybe some screenshots might help me to see what is going on in your workflows.

I normally just sign users up and then when they want to sign in, they use a magic link. They donā€™t need a password that way.

Most of my new apps donā€™t use passwords.

Anyways, send some screenshots and I will try to check it out for you. :blush:

@J805
Thanks for your response. This particular app requires an administrator creating a user and setting them up to use the system. We donā€™t want users signing up themselves.
The first step I have is to create the user using the ā€œCreate an account for someone elseā€ step:

Then, I use the ā€œSend password reset emailā€, setting the To as the Input email address and not current user as seen below and setting the flag to generate a token:

Then, I send an email creating the link as seen below:

When I click on the link set, I deliberately do a popup on the reset password page to get the current user uniqueID and email and then I noticed that my pop-up shows the details of the user that created the new user, rather than the details of the new user:

So, anything I do on that flow would happen to the wrong user. I kept wondering why i couldnā€™t login with the password i created until I noticed this.
Please, let me know what you think i should do differently here.

Hmm :thinking: Letā€™s see if we can figure this out.

When you are inviting the other user, are you logging your admin user out before you click on the link as the other user?

What does your pw_reset page workflows look like?

Why do you do this? (See image below)

@J805
Thanks for your response.

I actually donā€™t log out the current user (Admin) before clicking on the link. I guess I assumed the token would resolve to the new user I created and that would make my current user for that page the new user. If that matters, I could open a private browser to click on the link and see if that works.
The pw_reset page workflow is basically this:
At Page load:

Focus and show the pop-up that gets me the current user iā€™m setting the password for.

At click of button, reset the password, though the real plan is to log the user in as well:

Including the UniqueID in the URL is just me wanting to see the uniqueID of the user I created and considering that I could use the ID from Page URL to do some other proceses. You can ignore that.
Thanks.

You can double check, resetting a password might log them in right away too.

Definitely try a private browser.

@J805,

So, i tried it out on a private browser and the first time I sent the link, the pop-up showed an empty current user, at least, not the admin user now. Then, I deleted the user and di the creation process again and this time around I got the correct user.
I think I will create an additional email address and confirm that it now works correctly as expected.
Thanks so much for your time and prompt response.

1 Like

Cool. I hope it works out. :blush:

Hi,

Just to piggy back onto this thread, I followed your instructions (thank you very much!), but Iā€™m getting stuck at the end.

I have rules in my app that block users from logging in if their password confirmed=no (using Bubbles built-in email confirmation functionality). With your solution, the new user can create a new password and everything, but then when they try to login with it, due to my ā€˜email confirmedā€™ rule, theyā€™re unable to login.

From what I can see, email confirmation canā€™t be triggered on behalf of someone else, so Iā€™m not quite sure how this could work seamlessly in this workflow.

The only solution I can think of is creating my own email confirmation field, allowing me to have moer flexibility, but it seems less secure, and a lot of effort just to achieve this one thing.

Thanks in advance!