Send data to page

hi i have difficulty sending data to page. in my travel app, the user can list a trip and click add trip button (pic 1). then he will be redirected to listing page which will show him the trip he just added (pic 2). in the workflow for add trip button, i first create a new trip data type and then send result of earlier step to listing page (pic 3). however, as u see, the details in pic 2 doesnt follow the details from pic 1. any advice is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

bump. I am having a smilier problem. Made a reply to the post below as well seeing as how they were similar:

@just_jj is the type of Content for the trips page ‘Trip’?

If so, is the data source for the elements on that page:

“Current Page Trip’s Name of Trip”? (a text element, for example)

@jameslusk I think everything is set up correctly, except for this part in the Schedule Call Button. Change the ‘Submitted Emails’ field from:

to:

*Or just remove the change to “Submitted Emails” from the Schedule Call button because that app data was already stored during the Email Input step.

2 Likes

Yeah, that particular screen was when I tried experimenting with a suggestion from another post.

I believe the setting for submitted emails is supposed to reference the email that was already stored. So that on the 2nd page, when people add a name, phone number, etc, the app will up date the email in the database with the new name, etc.

1 Like

Since you’re navigating/sending data to the second page, Bubble knows which Email Submission you are referring to from the data you are sending. That is displayed in the Current Page Email Submission (though you are not displaying that email in a text element or input). Updating the info will work because you specified the Thing you are making a change to is the Current Page’s Email Submission. :slight_smile:

Here’s an example in the forum:

Preview:

Editor:

2 Likes

Yeah, I redid it and it worked. I am not sure why it worked this time and not previously. Possibly because there are so many different layers/groups before the input, and setting all of the content types the same. But now it works.

Thank you for the help!

Is there a way to get bubble to delete the code for the text input if there is no page data?

The problem I am currently facing is we have an index page. That index page has an email submission form. Users can submit an email, click the button, and move to the next page. The next page (on boarding) has a more extensive sign up form, including the email, which is automatically filled from the previous page. This is great, this what I was originally attempting.

BUT, we have other buttons on our page, that redirect to the sign up page, that do not have email submissions. So, if they go to the same page as described above, there is code in the email submission box. Is there away to get that box to be empty if there is no data sent to the sign up page?

Hey James, no problem! :slight_smile: Glad it’s working! Are the Sign Up and Onboarding pages two different pages? If so, I think if you remove Type of Content on the Sign Up page, Bubble will not require you to send data from the Index page. Since you don’t need that page to display or contain any information collected on the Index page, then you can leave Type of Content empty, and leave the Data to Send box empty within the workflow.

If they are the same page right now, then Bubble will require you to send data since that page has a Type of Content. One option would be to duplicate the Onboarding page, remove the type of content, and redirect to that page from the Index in cases where no data needs to be sent.

1 Like

The 2nd step is essentially what we have set up now. 2 different on boarding pages, one with data sent from the index page, one with none. The one with none being the one linked to ‘get started’ buttons and no data.

One thing that we are realizing is that google’s recent penguin update is looking for black hat SEO practices and lowering the ranking of sites with duplicate pages. So the goal is to get everything pointing to only one page.

From the sound of it, it seems like there is no way to do this because a link with no data (from a generic button and no input) can’t direct to a page requiring data, which is what we have now.

So the only option would be to redirect all traffic to the signup page through some kind of form fill to capture the data first, then send that data over when linking. Is this correct?

Can you share the link to your editor again? (If you’d rather through private message again that works too). There are still a few ways to do this. I remember your data structure having a Data Type set up regarding Email Submissions. If you want to save an email before a User has signed up, you can still save information to the “Current User” (when they are logged out and have not officially created an account yet). If that was the case, you can change the Type of Content on the Signup Page from Email Submission to User, and every navigation button data to send from the Index to Signup would just be ‘Current User’. Upon completion of the inputs on the Signup page, you could then have those workflows used to create/save any data to any Data Type of your choice.

1 Like

Slow getting back to this one, my apologies.

If we organized this as you are suggesting, would there be issues later on? For example, what if a customer goes through this, but doesn’t sign up. Then a couple days later comes back and does sign up. Would they get an error saying that email is already in use?

No problem. :slight_smile: After rereading what I wrote I realize that sounded confusing - you can save the email, but not as the User’s account email. My thoughts were that you can still use your Email Submission data type to store all of those emails for your mailing list, or for Users who are interested but haven’t signed up. However, instead of having that page’s type of Content to be Email Submission, you can create a field within the User data type that is “Email Submission” (type: Email Submission, List: No) - and set the page’s type of content to User. When a User submits an email, the workflows could be:

1. Create a new Email Submission
  2. Make Changes to Current User, field to change: Email Submission --> (add Result of Step 1 Create a new Email Submission)

So you’re saving that Email Submission to the Current User’s Email Submission field (even if they’re logged out/haven’t created an account). The benefit is that the User (as long as they’re not in incognito mode) will have that email associated with their account, and when they do decide to sign up for your app - the email they submitted will be displayed within the Email Input as the initial content; they won’t need to re-type it.

That way you can set the page type as User, data to send is Current User, and still display the User’s Email Submission from the previous page, without having the page type of content be Email Submission.

Here’s an example in the forumapp:

Preview:

Editor:

1 Like

Ah, so it would essentially be saving the email twice. Once in a field I create initially, then again on sign up as the log in info, correct?

So, if the user closes the session, bubble will remember the user from last time? I’m looking at the work flows, and it makes sense. Just wondering if it still works this way if the user leaves their email, closes the browser, then comes back days later?

Yes, it would save it twice. If the User finishes the sign up process, you can create a condition which searches if the User’s account email matches an Email Submission’s email, then set a workflow to delete that Email Submission. That way, when you’re looking at your Email Submissions in your App Data tab it’s only keeping emails of Users who have not yet signed up. Not sure it’s the best method, but it may work if you need to store emails before signup.

And yes it will still work if the User closes their browser. Bubble uses cookies for this; it won’t erase for around a month (depending on the browser the User is using).

*I’m not 100% sure about the month timeframe, but @ryan discussed cookies here:

1 Like