SLOW SLOW SLOW please reassure us!

Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for creating, maintaining and upgrading Bubble. You open a brand new path for business experiments on the web.

However I have been noticing that the Bubble editor became extremely slow to respond in the last few weeks…

From the google trends chart attached below, I understand you might be victim of your success…good!

But I remain worried. I start to feel like Bubble will reach its limits fairly soon in term of speed, despite being on Amazon S3 (I thought it was scalable @Emmanuel in term o bandwidth and processor/memory).

Could you please reassure us and convince us you are working on scalability to get back to decent latency levels please! Only when I use the editor around 4am I get the speed I used to get before (I have 1Gq bandwidth on my side).

Thanks for cheering us up, and make us confident about deploying serious projects on Bubble!

Patrick

3 Likes

I believe stability is the biggest focus for the Bubble team. Meanwhile, it seems that the dedicated plan is much better in terms of speed. Might be worth considering depending on the budget of your team.

1 Like

following

Indeed. I do not speak about load management for a production version actually. It’s all about the editor, for the $80 and $20 a month plans.

Also, I read a few speed complaints on the forum about the dedicated plan.

Any input from your experience ?

1 Like

No experience sadly, but there was a recent discussion about dedicated:

Incidentally, what issues are you having with the editor? I’ve been using it several hours a day for the last week or so and I’ve not noticed it to be slow - about the same as it’s always been over the last 6months I’ve used it on and off.

Ive been having the same issues with the editor. The front end always have worked fine. I use Bubble 5-6 hours ot of the day and at least once an hour i have to close Chrome and open it again to regain some speed.

I noticed Firefox deals better with the memory usage, but you have to close and restart once in a while. Realizing what I’m actually building using just a web browser, it still every day blows my mind so it is a small price to pay.

2 Likes

@charliefountain @vincent56 If it’s a problem that’s instantly fixed by closing your browser then it sounds like an issue of the editor using up to much RAM and/or other system resources on your PC/laptop, rather than latency issues with the server.

By which to say, there is probably a limited amount Bubble can do as such complex editor can only be so memory efficient.

2 Likes

I’ll try firefox for a couple of days!! Totally agree with you!

You are right, this is a different problem than what OP describes.

I’m trying to figure out if it makes sense to upgrade my pc to make sure I have enough RAM to minimize the lag when working in the editor. Especially on element-heavy pages, I never get a response time (when clicking something) lower than a second. It is not uncommon to having to wait around 4 seconds each click.

This is obviously partly due to pages that have a lot of elements but it still annoys me. I use a multi-core PC with 16gb RAM. I would think that is enough but Firefox always takes up around 50% system memory.

The weird thing is that the entire editor can be very laggy when the browser memory is around 1000 and less laggy on 3000. However, usually the more memory it consumes, the laggier.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that in my mornings (Europe), the editor is much faster than my evenings/nights. I guess thats due to the US logging on!

Anyone using a very high end pc without issues? (on my macbook air its the same problems)

I use chrome and don’t encounter problems. Have you looked at your isp speeds?

Have you tried disabling the issue checker to see if you get an improvement?

1 Like

If this is the case, I wonder if it hsa much to do with the fact that the servers are located in USA East. That would be a bummer. (ISP speeds are fine)

How do you disable this?

Add the following parameter to the editor’s url: “&issues_off=true”.

4 Likes

I noticed a huge performance improvement when I switched to Chrome 64bit Beta (58.0.3 currently). In addition, I noticed when I run the editor in Chrome and the app in Firefox, both processes run at lower RAM and CPU usage compared to both running in a single browser window.

No matter what version of Chrome I use, within minutes im around 3000mb memory usage and the editor becomes unresponsive. Now downloaded the 64b version of FF and that seems to work a little better. Thanks for the tip!

I’m curious if there is a workflow that is causing this kind of spike. All of my apps have more than two dozen UI views that each contains tons of data that’s loaded simultaneously. Lots of relational data too, with images, video and audio. After using the editor for 30 minutes to an hour the browser hangs and crashes once it hits 3GB, this has been an issue for me for quite some time but I blame it on my massive app structures. When I’m in a brand new app I can edit in there all day long without hitting a 3GB cap and so Bubble never crashes. I know before I switched to 64 bit Chrome I had app crashing problems at 1-1.5GB memory use and now it’s only happening at ~3GB. I’m not sure having a more powerful computer would get around this as it appears to be a software flaw affecting Chrome, FF, IE and Opera on Windows and OSX.

@vincent56 I found this 416284 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail

It talks about an old Chromium bug but further down they discuss why there is a 4GB limit. Makes sense to me now, and thinking about it, when Bubble editor uses 3GB of memory the rest of Chrome is using around ~1GB, totalling 4GB and therefore hitting a ceiling and crashing.

Hi - Yes this is working by design. This is a security limitation placed on the sandboxed process using a Windows Job object. We limit to 4Gb because certain types of attacks rely on being able to allocate > 4Gb of memory.

The issue here is the memory leak, not that Chrome doesn’t allow allocations over 4Gb. We will continue to investigate the memory leak in issue 404666.

Comment 6 by victor1...@gmail.com, Dec 9 2014
We are developing an webapp that actually uses more than 4GB of memory. Any chance that Chrome will allow >4GB in the near future?

Comment 7 by wfh@chromium.org, Jun 4 2015
Cc: jsc...@chromium.org
We don’t have any plans to raise this limit.