Template and referenced app management

Hi all, here some points to share about how template and apps work together, it took me a bit to understand:

• when you create a new template based on a new app, bubble create a new template and a new app (I call this the templateApp)
  • you can change template name but not the “raw” templateApp name referenced by the template
  • if you delete the templateApp the template based on the templateApp is not working anymore
  • you cannot create a template starting from an app based on a template
  • you can copy the templateApp e create a new template on the copied templateApp
  • if you create a template based on an existing “normal” app, the app is tranformed in a templateAPP
  • a templateAPP can be trasformed in a hobby/personal app… but I am not sure on the effect on the template based on that ex-templateAPP…

Hope it could help somebody out there
Ciao
Andrea

2 Likes

Are you referring to templates you purchased or templates that you created yourself and are now using for your own purposes?

Think of templates like a cookie cutter.

• You use the cookie cutter to cut out a new “app” formed in the likeness of the template.
  • You can’t use a cookie cutter to make another cookie cutter. (Only cookies!). Ie. no making a copy of a template).
  • When you make changes to the cookie cutter, those don’t trickle down to a cookie you’ve already cut out.
4 Likes

Thanks dan1, your analogy makes it clearer.
Yes, I am referring to templates created for personal use, not about purchased templates.

Ciao
Andrea

I’m impressed by your analogy Dan :smiley:

1 Like

I agree that it would be nice to be able to make a new template off of a templates built by yourself. (Been a long time since I did that…think I just ended up manually copying with workflows most of the app :frowning: ).

I believe the block is there for good reason - so Person B can’t purchase Person A’s template and then list it for sale as their own. It’d be nice if the restriction didn’t apply to your created templates; just those created by others. (There may be another reason, but my guess is that the feature isn’t very nuanced yet).

@adycarlo
thanks for this discussion

me and Bubble support tried to replicate this but each time we received warning that it’s not possible to create a template from that app because the app is derived from another template.
Can you please share how were you able to do this and bypass Bubble’s protection?
This would help a lot
Thanks!

@adycarlo bump :slight_smile: would be nice to learn the way you could copy the template and republish it also as a template :slight_smile:
thanks!

Hi levon, sorry for the time to answer you

The “process” like this if I remember well the test I made:

• you have a template, so you have the templateApp in the list of your app
  • you copy and than change the templateApp to “normal” app (hobby eg)
  • you create a new template based on the new “normal” app and so you have a new template and new templateAPP

Not very scientific but it should work

Ciao
Andrea

Ciao Andrea,
thanks a lot, never tried it that way, i only tried creating an app based on the template, then copying that app and then creating a new template based on that copied app. That scenario is protected which is good.
Thanks!

Please help me with that…

I apparently work 2 weeks on my website. ( i have my own domain)
and it seems that when I click on it go to the same templates that I I deleted!

apparently, i started with free template.
Delete all

Build my own.

And it still there… please help me out here I can’t find of to delete it…