Forum Documentation Showcase Pricing Learn more

[Update June 28, 2019] BDK Native Apps Service

Yep :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey @gaurav this seems amazing, actually I am using dropsource to connect my bubble app and a ios app with good results, how do you compare to them? Also, I read somewhere and can’t find it anymore you’re not planning to implement touch id/face id, am I wrong? This is a must for me. I am just trying to understand if make sense to me to star again ti build an ios app from scratch with another platform ( which seems more obvious) or keep using what I have done. Thanks:)

Sorry I bet you’re super busy writing the docs and demos but how do updates work?

If I make changes to my Bubble app, will the native app update itself without the user having to update the app via the app store?

Yep that’s correct. Your bubble updates go through directly without the user needing to update their native app

Just released new version addressing these features :smiley: Update your demo app using testflight (iOS) / play store (android)

Hey @caeroa,

That’s a great question. I actually had once tried dropsource when it was in early stages for my app. And it quickly became evident that there was a major trade-off: Speed of development. Bubble is amazing when it comes to iterating your app. If you have a webapp & backend powered by bubble combined with native app built on dropsource, your “time taken to make changes and deploy” shoots up several times in my experience. For some apps it may make sense if you don’t expect to make many changes or if your native app is very simple / does a small subset of things that your webapp does.

Think of BDK Native as a cross between Dropsource & a Wrapper. A good example will be the native list type template capability I added in the release today. Its’ a purely native screen, but the content is styled and filled-in by bubble. The communication between the native engine and bubble app is all behind the scenes and seamless.

I do plan to implement it eventually but its quite low on priority list. Reason being there are capabilities which are useful to a wider set of users at the moment (e.g. native footer tabs). The % of phones having touch ID * the % of apps using it * the % of bubblers wanting it is lower than other capabilities at the moment.

3 Likes

[Update] May 15, 2019

New version released. Check out the updated app to try out new native capabilities like

• Device location tracking (build the next Uber)
  • QR / Barcode scanning (or maybe Amazon…)
  • Native header button
  • Persistent on-device text storage
  • Generate list style native screens dynamically from your bubble app

Install on iOS & Android

Cheers,
Gaurav
theBDK.com

16 Likes

@gaurav it’s amazing what your building here. Great job.
I have a question and sorry if you’ve already responded to it before.

Will I have to request a rebuild everytime I make a change to my app? Or you have a testing system where I will be testing as I creat my app and when I’m ready to generate the apk (for Android) I request the build?

I’m a bit confuse about your response above.
Are you saying I just need to build once and submit to the playstore and that’s it (like gonative) . And when I update my app no update is required from the user?
If this is the case why would I need multiple builds from you.
Again sorry if you’ve answered these and I didn’t get it.
Thanks and good luck with this.

Excited to try this out now that GPS functionality is available!

Quick question, I don’t see the Native Apps plugin that I need to get going when making my Bubble native. Here’s a screenshot when I search for the plugin:

Thanks @seanhoots :smiley:

Sorry for the confusing response earlier. Hope the below clarifies my statement. Feel free to ask for any clarifications.

You absolutely don’t need a rebuild for any changes to your bubble app. Users don’t need to download a new version of the app either. If you make changes and deploy your bubble app, they see the same bubble’s ‘page refresh’ banner exactly like you see on a browser. So yes, just like Gonative (but far cheaper & tailored for bubble apps)

Rebuild is required if you want to change any of the project information hardcoded into the binary / apk itself. These are the same details that I ask in the project form: App name, App icon, Onesignal app id, Bubble page to open on load, Native header bar & dark mode.
As you’d expect people don’t usually change these after finalizing. So a rebuild isn’t normally needed.

The situations I’ve had clients request for a rebuild are:

1. To change the starting page / app icon
  2. To re-submit to iOS app store for review. Apple asks for a new build to request an app review again even if it has nothing to do with the app itself.
    Also, currently I offer 1 free rebuild within 15 calendar days of first build after purchase :smiley:
2 Likes

It’s authorized (and hence available) only for apps that have paid for the service. However, you can try the feature out in the demo app

1 Like

Thanks @gaurav, your reply now clarifies things for me.
I’m watching this space and I will be your client very soon.
Great job once again and good luck :+1:.

2 Likes

Hi @gaurav, i’m testing the demo app and the “OPEN URL IN MODAL” doesn’t seem to be working. It opens the link my default browser (chrome).
Same for the hyperlinks (to the bloomberg website).
I’m running on a Samsung note 8, One UI, Android 9.
Thanks

Yeah that’s the expected behavior. On Android OS modals refer to sites opening on browser, and when you navigate using the back button on device it switches back to app. On iOS modals refer to sites opening on a browser within the app.

1 Like

Ah I see, I thought by modal you were referring to chrome custom tabs.
https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/android/customtabs

2 Likes

Closer and closer to native apps we go!

1 Like

Hey @gaurav thank you so much for the explanation, I completely understood the real deal of BDK Native, excellent work.

I will move to BDK Native once the touch id/face id, this is a must to my app, is there a way to know once implemented?

Thank you for your hard work!!!

1 Like

Try the ‘navigate to link’ action. Maybe that’s what you’re looking for. In the demo app it’s the ‘Transition Natively’ section

I’ll post updates in this space :+1:

Ok I’m ready to jump on this. Two questions

1. I just tried my bubble app via transition natively. The first page looks great. However, it takes me to the safari modal when I click on any link in my bubble app (these links take me to other pages that are part of my app they are not outside webpages). How can I stop opening my bubble pages in safari modal?

It’s authorized (and hence available) only for apps that have paid for the service

Ill see the plugin once I pay for the BDK service on this page https://thebdk.com/nativeproject or once I pay for Bubble?

Thanks

1. That’s because the domain for the demo app is thebdk.com. So any links pages in that domain will open with native transition. In your app the domain will be your domain, hence your pages will open in native transition
  2. The bdk native service in the page link you posted