[Update March 5, 2020] BDK Native Apps v1.7 released

Thanks again. I’ll be getting back in touch with you. :+1:

1 Like

Just tired this out super impressed.
Now how does the testing work? Is there is an equivalent of bdk Native during building process so I can test the application and once I am satisfied and want to build it and launch it I request the build ? how does the process work

Is video shooting within the app and the finger print access in development?

2 Likes

Hi @gaurav

This is great! One question about image, either taking from device camera or taking from exisiting file in device storage… is it possible to compress and/or crop the image before upload to bubble dbase?

Thanks,
Anwar

I assume yes. the way you would imagine is that would be in an environmental viable you pass it to javascript compressor code triggered by workflow and get a compressed image then upload it. @gaurav do you know another way ?

Thanks @MrMaker! So the idea of demo app is (1) to try out these capabilities and (2) if you’d like to see how your own site feels in app, just type in your link and ‘transition natively’ to it in the demo app itself. I recommend create a project on the demo app and you’ll be able to see more info.

Once you have the build, iOS and Android app stores have a pretty standard process wherein you could put your app in alpha / beta testing so that you (& your test users) can test. Then you can make them live when ready. Note that all of this is done on your end.

I want to clarify that the process is not - I make a test build your native app, provide it to you and then you decide whether you want it or not. Since that would be like me doing all the work without any purchase commitment from your end.

1. You check out the demo app and plugin documentation (coming soon).
  2. Create a project to get more understanding of pricing, faq, information requirements.
  3. Once you pay you receive a guide with step-by-step ‘Before the build’ guide including walk-through videos of any settings that are needed to be done on your end to gather the information required for a build.
  4. Once you have the info, fill it in the form on your project. Click request build.
  5. I start the build process on my end. Meanwhile you receive a step-by-step ‘Testing your app’ guide with walk-through videos that are helpful if you’ve never tested iOS / Android app prior to this.

Not yet but in plans along with the audio recording

Since this is specific to a few brand & higher end phones, not on the roadmap at the moment. Trying to focus on features that are more broadly useful

Want to clarify that image taking from device camera is supported. Taking data from existing file in device storage is not a capability I’ve added.

Cropping the image can be done by the user as part of taking the picture itself if the device supports it e.g. try the capture image in demo app on latest iOS; you should be able to crop image & possibly even apply filters I think.

For image actions (take picture using camera, select photo from gallery, take screenshot) : The native platform sends raw image data (base 64) to plugin that can be used to display image on any image element without storing on bubble server.

Then if you want to store it in your bubble database, you simply need to user the ‘Get data from api’ bubble expression. The api endpoint to call will be set up in your app’s api workflows tab. While this may sound complex, its actually very easy. The plugin documentation will show you how to set this up in a minute.

If you’d like to compress an image (or do any such image processing), you would just need to do it the same way as you would in bubble web app.

No need of environment variable etc. here to get the image. The native platform & plugin handle all of that automatically in between them. You will be able to get the raw data, as well as link of image file on your bubble server (via an api workflow as explained above). Beyond that i.e. what you’d want to do with the image is totally up to you.

Why not have the native platform upload the image directly to my bubble database rather than having to setup an api workflow for that?
Simple: Its’ more cost effective for you. Think about cases like (1) your endpoint changes, (2) you need to change a setting e.g. filename (3) you want to upload to your custom aws / azure or some other server instead of bubble database (4) you want to do some image processing / ai stuff etc.
You would end up needing to request a new build which could cost you. So instead why not spend 30 seconds more on your app and avoid paying while maintaining control on your hands.

1 Like

@gaurav Do you have a plan to add Tap Bar? Also about header and dynamic content/icons. I would buy this for sure but it would be nice to know how navigation could be setup?

[Updates] April 4, 2019

Added Native Capability:

1. Dynamically set the header content, colors and label / image. Try it out now on the latest version of native apps for iOS and Android.

Plugin documentation now available:

1. Plugin documentation is now complete. If you’ve created a project, the link is also available along with other guides on your project page.

Bubble site updates:

1. Added list of native capabilties for quicker navigation
  2. Added the section to test out Dynamic headers capability
  3. Option to specify dark mode color on project

Folks who have already requested the build. Please upgrade the plugin version on your app.

Cheers,
Gaurav

4 Likes

Its’ available now

You can try it now in the dynamic headers section in the demo app. Also check out the plugin documentation above on how to use in your bubble app.

If by tap bar you mean tabs at the bottom of screen, then yes I do have it on the roadmap

This is amazing, thanks so much @gaurav, I’ll definitely be purchasing this in the near future.

1 Like

Great idea @gaurav !!!
I am definitelly giving this a try!
Just antecipating:
I have a multiple page web app but I don´t plan to use all the pages in the app version.
I have created a mobile index page so that when users try to open using their phone´s browser it will land in the mobile index page that only navigates to certain pages and functions.
My question: is it possible to point the app to the mobile index page so that it will only navigate from there?

Have a good one,
Diogo

1 Like

Yes absolutely. In fact the demo app itself isn’t the homepage of the domain :smiley:

Hi @gaurav this looks very promising! Would your process allow links to images to show on the default mobile photo viewer?

Would the native transition between pages work when navigating within the same site by changing URL parameters?

Thanks @starnapp!

I’m not sure I’ve seen the default mobile photo viewer being used in native apps. Is there an example app you can point me to which will help me understand the request here?

Yeah you can native transition to absolutely any url :smiley: Here’s the documentation for native transition feature

Regarding the image preview, not sure I was clear. As an example, when I press an image in gmail, whatsapp, etc. it does not show the image on a browser, but on a “native” photo viewer.

This is pretty sweet. About the header. I think there should be options for icons and that they could be used to tricker actions.

1 Like

Does it works with barcode reader plugin?

1 Like

How does it work with location services?

Can I use this for an easier mobile friendly setup for my webapp with all the native features I don’t want to put my app on the app and play store

Both added to roadmap

The service will provide you with the build of your apps. What you choose to do with it is totally up to you. If your question is that you want to just open it to limited users (e.g. beta testing), both apple and google play stores let you do these pretty easily.

If the question is that you don’t want an app but want your website to have native capabilities such as native push notifications, that’s not possible with this or any other service to my knowledge.

I see. I’ll look into this. Maybe I’ll build a native view for image viewer :slight_smile: