[Update March 5, 2020] BDK Native Apps v1.7 released

Thanks @gaurav on the udpate, any expected timeframe for this? justo so I can plan a couple of project I would need this for.

Cheers,

Canā€™t give a accurate timeline but Iā€™m hoping couple of weeks

plus one one for barcode reader. And to use it to find data in the app itself also.

1 Like

My colleague and I started using BDK recently and we have both been very pleased so far (this was not the case with previous companies we looked into/worked with). BDK offers great solutions at an incredible value and they have been very helpful. I am hopeful that they are very successful and continue to build out their features. :+1::+1:

(And in case you were wondering, there is zero incentive for me to complement BDK. I am just a client that found them on this forum. I simply want to give credit where credit is due.)

11 Likes

Thank you @ben5!! Much appreciate the feedback :smiley:

Hi @gaurav , I have been testing your application and I liked it, it feels completely native, but, do you have permission for GPS, geolocation and Google Maps integration?

Hi @joelalcudia
Yep, work in progress and on track. Likely to be a part of next update

great, Iā€™ll wait for you to have this update and Iā€™ll definitely acquire it for android and ios.

1 Like

This looks very promising. I have a yelp-like web app. A problem I have with the web is that I have to ask the user for permission to use his/her location **every time ** he/she opens the website.

In a native app, I would only have to ask for location sharing permission only once and it will be allowed forever. Does BDK deal with location?

Yep :smiley:

2 Likes

Any rough idea when the next update will be deployed?
Iā€™m really looking forward to trying it out once geolocation and Google Maps are supported!

Itā€™s ready. Iā€™m writing up the demos, documentation and project page changes. Will be available in the next few days :smiley:

6 Likes

Great job with this @gaurav. Will the next update include the barcode reader capability?

1 Like

Yep :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey @gaurav this seems amazing, actually I am using dropsource to connect my bubble app and a ios app with good results, how do you compare to them? Also, I read somewhere and canā€™t find it anymore youā€™re not planning to implement touch id/face id, am I wrong? This is a must for me. I am just trying to understand if make sense to me to star again ti build an ios app from scratch with another platform ( which seems more obvious) or keep using what I have done. Thanks:)

Sorry I bet youā€™re super busy writing the docs and demos but how do updates work?

If I make changes to my Bubble app, will the native app update itself without the user having to update the app via the app store?

Yep thatā€™s correct. Your bubble updates go through directly without the user needing to update their native app

Just released new version addressing these features :smiley: Update your demo app using testflight (iOS) / play store (android)

Hey @caeroa,

Thatā€™s a great question. I actually had once tried dropsource when it was in early stages for my app. And it quickly became evident that there was a major trade-off: Speed of development. Bubble is amazing when it comes to iterating your app. If you have a webapp & backend powered by bubble combined with native app built on dropsource, your ā€œtime taken to make changes and deployā€ shoots up several times in my experience. For some apps it may make sense if you donā€™t expect to make many changes or if your native app is very simple / does a small subset of things that your webapp does.

Think of BDK Native as a cross between Dropsource & a Wrapper. A good example will be the native list type template capability I added in the release today. Itsā€™ a purely native screen, but the content is styled and filled-in by bubble. The communication between the native engine and bubble app is all behind the scenes and seamless.

I do plan to implement it eventually but its quite low on priority list. Reason being there are capabilities which are useful to a wider set of users at the moment (e.g. native footer tabs). The % of phones having touch ID * the % of apps using it * the % of bubblers wanting it is lower than other capabilities at the moment.

3 Likes

[Update] May 15, 2019

New version released. Check out the updated app to try out new native capabilities like

• Device location tracking (build the next Uber)
  • QR / Barcode scanning (or maybe Amazonā€¦)
  • Native header button
  • Persistent on-device text storage
  • Generate list style native screens dynamically from your bubble app

Install on iOS & Android

Cheers,
Gaurav
theBDK.com

16 Likes

@gaurav itā€™s amazing what your building here. Great job.
I have a question and sorry if youā€™ve already responded to it before.

Will I have to request a rebuild everytime I make a change to my app? Or you have a testing system where I will be testing as I creat my app and when Iā€™m ready to generate the apk (for Android) I request the build?

Iā€™m a bit confuse about your response above.
Are you saying I just need to build once and submit to the playstore and thatā€™s it (like gonative) . And when I update my app no update is required from the user?
If this is the case why would I need multiple builds from you.
Again sorry if youā€™ve answered these and I didnā€™t get it.
Thanks and good luck with this.