Upload an image via Zapier or Integromat

Hi there, I’m new here. Just a week ago I rediscovered Bubble, and I’m totally in love. I think Bubble is the tool I’m looking for so long. Right now I’m trying to convince two of my clients to switch from Podio to Bubble. So, therefore, I’m testing out the basic needs of there workflow in Bubble.

On the interface side, everything is so easy to do. I’m so amazed by it. But on the integration with the outside world, I discovered some difficulties.

In the workflow of both of my client’s, information and files from an outside source is delivered to there system. One client gets information from a GravityForm in Wordpress, and the other one is getting the information from IMAP mailbox where they receive all the invoices from there suppliers.

The catch is uploading the files. Yesterday I was researching this, and I thought it would be straightforward to do. I was wrong.

Both, Integromat and Zapier, have an action to upload a file to an item in Podio. I discovered that this is not the case for Integromat. So I headed to the forum and looked on Google to find a solution. Maybe I missed something, but I couldn’t find any working solution.

So I tried some things myself, and suddenly I thought I found it. In the API Workflows section of the application, I found the option ‘Detect request data’ under Parameter definition. For a moment I thought this would help me because it was correctly showing the data I was pushing to the API. So I connected the value of the image data to my Image field in Bubble and discovered there is coming some data to Bubble but the connection seems very slow, and after a while, I get a connection error.

Is there any solution I missed?

I can’t wait to build these applications, but these workflows have to work before I can go on whit my bubble journey.

Is this an image ? Or a link to an image (via a URL) ?

It’s a file. It can be an image or a pdf.

For example: someone sends a invoice per email to invoice@business.com then Zapier or Integromat wakes up and send the attachments to Bubble.

So you should be able to get Zapier to ping an API Workflow in Bubble (a Zapier “webhook”) and then that workflow can save the image into Bubble.

Is that the bit that is slow ?

That’s correct. It’s so slow that in the end I get a time out.

Zapier times out ? Same if you post via Postman ?

I tested it with Zapier, Integromat, and Postman, All with the same result. Without an image, everything works and when I include an image I get a timeout.

Setup API

Setup to create a thing

Results in Postman with an image

Results in Postman without an image

Is there an error in the Server Logs ?

Hi Nigel, Thanks for all your help!

Only the successful connections can be seen in the logs :frowning:

Well, something is up, that is for sure.

I think using “auto-detect” it looks like it is passing an array of numbers and times out. If you pass a very small image I got it to work, but then the image was not an image.

Switching to manual mode, I can’t get image to work at all. The Bubble API won’t recognise it.

You can pass images in the API by storing the image, passing the URL, and then uploading. But that is probably not what you want.

Thank you for testing this Nigel!

For the e-mail attachment workflow, passing the URL is not an option.

Whats the next step? Reporting a bug?