Web App and Native App... Same Database?

Hi,

Probably a simple question, but I wanted to check before I go to far.

I am designing an app which lends itself more to native app than web app (although I ideally want both).

My question is, if I build a native app and a web app, can I do it on the same app, or do I have to build two seperate apps? Obviously I want to keep the same database for both, so if I have to build seperate apps, is there a way of linking them both to the same database?

Cheers in advance.

[quote=ā€œandmilne, post:1, topic:12548ā€]
if I build a native app and a web app, can I do it on the same app, or do I have to build two seperate apps?[/quote]

Yes, you can do it in the same app. Just be sure that you set privacy and security workflows to prevent your mobile app users from accessing your internal teamā€™s pages. It is always helpful to assign user roles, so that specific pages are available to specific users. All users will have access to the same database/databases. You can go into the Data tab and modify Privacy settings so that different users have access to different 'Things" or types of information to increase your security.

In an ideal world: you might separate your admin app from your ā€˜publicā€™ mobile app, but there is no harm in building things under the same Bubble app. You can always migrate to this setup later.

1 Like

Thanks v much. My confusion came from the fact you have to select ā€œThis is a native appā€ on the index page settings. Do I need to duplicate the page for web/mobile app, or can I simply assign a domain, and also have a native app?

As far as I can tell, ā€œthis is a native appā€ is only useful for using the bubble iOS app to test out the app in native resolution on your phone. I have a mobile app, and do not have this box checked on any page. I think Bubble has plans to release a push-to-native service soon, in which case marking the ā€œthis is a native appā€ would be more relevant. For now, Iā€™d suggest just leaving it unchecked, unless you want to open up the pages inside the Bubble iOS app for testing.

If youā€™re intending to have a mobile app only for your users (besides any internal pages you or your team would use) - Iā€™d suggest to create the page as you normally would, design for native resolution (640x1336 seems to be a widely accepted resolution), and then point to the url using the of your native application wrapper (phonegap, etc.).

If you want to have your app accessible by both desktop web browser and mobile browsers, with distinct differences (ex. the desktop version might have more controls, etc.)ā€¦you can create one page for desktop (the one with more features) AND create another page for mobile (the one with less features). If you go this route, you just click the dropdown next to ā€œMobile Versionā€ (under the ā€œthis is a native appā€ button) to specify that page you designed for mobile.

Everyone has their own style, a lot of people going ā€œthe Bubble wayā€ have opted to design for mobile first, then make the page responsive so it will adjust for larger screens. While I embrace that philosophy, Iā€™ve created different versions for mobile and desktop on my application.

Thanks very much. I have tended to design for web first and then make responsive for mobile or build a separate mobile page, but I had native app in mind from the beginning on this one, so Iā€™ve started at 640.

I am new to development, so was a little confused, but you have helped clarify things - thanks.

My next learning curve will be when it is finished and I want to submit it as a native app. Havenā€™t got a clue there, but half the fun is learning anyway.

Cheers.

Happy to help, the mobile app journey is an exciting one :slight_smile: Bubble is pretty intuitive for visual learners, and there arenā€™t too many limits to product other than your imagination. Optimization is another thing, but Iā€™m sure the Bubble team will work on that with time. Cheers!

Hi guys,

I was wondering what the possibilities are to just leave the native app box unchecked and still wrap the one-page app in Phonegap? It should be possible I feel but all the focus on this forum on this native app has confused me a bit.

Thanks in advance!

Timon

Unless you want to test the UI on the Bubble-branded iOS app, just leave the native app box unchecked. It doesnā€™t currently serve much of a purpose - your best bet is to optimize for the screen size of mobile and utilize webview in your mobile build (phonegap, etc.).

Hello,

I was just wondering if this is still the same as when you posted this reply, or does the ā€˜This is a native appā€™ check box actually do something now? I canā€™t tell the difference so guessing itā€™s still pretty pointless.

Just curious to see as Iā€™m working on a messenger app that works for both desktop and mobile, but the mobile version uses a single page and groups. So before I go any further Iā€™m looking to see if I should just split the groups into pages and untick the native app box.

Cheers for any replies,

Mike

1 Like

Iā€™d be happy to get the answer to that question as well !

Bubble still does not make Native apps, and you are totally fine to leave that checkbox unchecked and go about building on separate pages before you wrap it with Phonegap or similar. Be warned: many users have had their apps rejected by Apple because they didnā€™t leverage native iOS capabilities.

1 Like