Why is the speed so slow?

I’ve spent months off and on fooling with this thing, and I am beyond frustrated. The speed is simply too slow (regardless of database design configurations) to be able to build something that’s ready for the real world. Sorry to vent, but this has been a major waste of my time.

3 Likes

I have tended to find when things aren’t working or are working slowly the first place to look at is at oneself. In terms of scale the forum contains various applications built with bubble which seem to have scaled quite significantly.
I would suggest rather than just venting the ventings sake, if you are looking for support or review possibly from members who could help advise then sharing a link to the application in question or recreating it would be a good starting point

I have paid a professional, one of the most accomplished bubblers in this forum, and they can’t make it work, so it’s not me. And if you look at the forum posts, I am not the only one bringing this problem up.

There is significant reason to conclude that speed is an issue for more complicated applications where many users / and workflows are running at once.

May I ask what plan are you using? How many concurrent users are there when speed slows? How large are the databases?

1 user in development mode. tiny database…less than 100 records. professional plan (legacy)

Are you willing to provide a link to your editor?

It’s private. I’m trying to recreate the issue in a public test app now.

From the test app, everything seems like you set it up in the most efficient way. When I previewed the page, the main repeating group loaded almost instantly for me. What’s the load time for you for the test app?

it’s the dependent dropdowns that are a problem

how many steps are there in a workflow?

Can you set the test app up in a way that matches your main app? Currently there is one workflow which uses the first dropdown’s value, and all of the dropdowns’ data source remain the same (no conditionals), aside from when the first dropdown is reset?

I’ll attempt to copy the app and scrub the data and make it public…duplicating it would take too long

Happy to take a look at the main app if you’d prefer to PM a link and set to public temporarily!

I feel your pain brother. I am trying to get away from every drop down and move it to a button where possible. You may want to pony up and drop the cash on a dedicated plan.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice…assuming you mean a radio button format. Will try where appropriate, but some of the dropdowns have 50 or more dynamic options.

I was told that the dedicated plan would make no difference in performance for this type of issue. Are you on a dedicated plan/did you see a difference?

I am on dedicated but I did it to eliminate any reasons for performance issues and get away from shared resources and updates. It’s like being on your own private island and support is great. I may not need a dedicated plan (still unknown if I really had to have it), it’s not like it solves all your problems with one go but it did solve some of mine.
As far as the buttons, I meant that some drop downs where switched up to buttons - but that was just an alternative that work out in my case.

This dependable dropdown issue I also had problems with, submitted it as a bug and got the response to not expect a fix to it any time soon, so yeah not a lot of positive news for you in that matter, it’s an annoying thing for sure!

1 Like

Thanks for your comment. Reassuring to know it’s not just me.

I’m going to use different workarounds for now, such as…

1. replacing dropdown usage where appropriate (i.e. radio buttons)
  2. using a step-by-step process for the user, such that the 1st dropdown is step 1, 2nd on step 2 and so forth.
  3. using a “working” visual element to provide the user feedback/reassurance that stuff is happening in the background
  4. hide the 2nd and subsequent dropdowns, and have them slowly materialize after a short delay, allowing time for Bubble to catch up

What workarounds are you using?

Perhaps talk to bubble guys so they can run your app and in backend run test to find a resource bottleneck.

No matter how complex logic do you use, if there is enough cpu and ram it should be fast.

Why would dedicated plan make no difference? …