Would adding too many plugins to the app, make the app slow

Is page load time affected by the number of plugins installed in an app (if only a handful are used in any one page)?

The Bubble team has stated earlier that yes, adding plugins might slow down your site, even when theyā€™re not in use. Iā€™d assume it depends on the nature of the plugin though, so the best way to know how it affects your app is to test it. Personally, I havenā€™t seen any major difference.

But in general, uninstall the plugins that you donā€™t need.

1 Like

Thanks. The plugins mention if they are being loaded in the app header (e.g. analytics, facebook login, etc.). I guess these are the ones that would slow down the app even if not loaded, so I will remove these.

1 Like

I put together a while ago, Its googleā€™s page speed API so we could all reference our apps in one spot and maybe learn a thing or two about what helps. https://plugbubble.bubbleapps.io/page-speed

1 Like

@jarrad - just tried. website scored 74. Lots of room for improvement.

Thats ok, more time on bubble isnā€™t the worse case scenario :slight_smile: , the best point I can make here is the PlugBubble site, It absolutely full of plugins as thats were there are a bunch of demoā€™s for them thereā€¦ go and see where that site ranks and you will have your answer. Admittedly most would not ever need that scale of plugins for a site or app, but it does give you a pretty good look into what a additions can do. At the end of the day the best way to gauge is to reach out to the creator, they will always know the attributes as well as the best method of implementation and you may even find they already have a neatly packaged version that is more feature specific to your needs.

Not to hijack the thread here, but Iā€™ve done this test before and not sure what I can do with the results other than compare them to other apps. However, I donā€™t know what those run so its a little difficult to compare.

I think some of these suggestions are beyond my control and for the ones that are not, Iā€™m not sure what they mean.

Image optimization? I guess this means making images smaller.
render blocking resources?
what are visual priorities?

I will need to clean up my plugins too. I think the Ziggeo plugin in particular is a pretty heavy user (for what it does at least)

i actually just removed a bunch of unused plugins and my score dropped with 4 points :frowning:

the idea largely was as more and more apps get a score we can then find patterns that relate to ā€œBubble Appsā€ while providing some in sites to the app owner at the same time, Basically, The boxes turn red when that returned result falls outside of Googles recommended values. If either people start to help out by adding there or what is there starts to help Then I will finish off the 2.0 of it that I started some time ago that include the full set of tools available. That will tell you down to your external reference where your loading time is coming from and also. Here is a sample of 2.0 run against bubble.is, as you can see there is even dynamic portions the actually link to Googles references on the topics that should be noted for the site right down to screen shots and sizes.

By the way, the reference links to look at what those indicators mean are all in the review below.

lol, Its live, It takes into account load time, hang on let me take the file uploader off my page she should come good. :grin:

Who else thinks this would be a valuable feature in Bubble:

Ability to specify at the plugin level which pages that plugin should load on ā€“ even better, enabling a workflow action ā€œOn page loadā€ that can load a pluginā€™s header/embed code based on conditional statements. Right now, only one of my pages requires more than 5 plugins yet the home page (landing page/index) and other simple info pages are burdened simply because all plugins are loaded by default on all pages.

1 Like

Honestly I think in those cases the best thing is to speak to the developer to find a solution. If we start giving developers tools to create a plugin, then another developer tools to alter how its meant to work this could get pretty ugly. when building a plugin we can even in the mainstream build, provide solutions for individuals.

How would this work?

I am mainly talking about the ability for an app owner to toggle on/off embed codes for pages in the Plugins tab of the app editor, not in the Plugin editor where plugin developers are building.

well its pretty easy to be honest.

var youDontWantIt = properties.yourInControl;

if (youDontWantIt == false){
var assertion = ('<script src="someurl"></script>');
$('head').append(assertion);
}else{
console.log('You didnt want it, you didnt get it');
}

The thing is if you speak to who built the plugin they could even in the free widely distributed version accommodate a if hostā€™s url == & its wednesday between 2pm and 6pm dont append the depā€™s.

Not sure I follow you thereā€¦

hm, i actually checked it on the Google tool page itself but I wonder still how many of those improvements we as builders can implement.

What about this one:

How to avoid this? I think this is how Bubble deals with custom domains?

Here I see some plugins, but I guess also some Bubble stuff. Same for these recommendations:

List goes on of course. But its hard to figure out what can be improved on by us and what sits on BUbbles side.

I guess this is on the Bubble roadmap for a reason:

App Performance
Systematically optimize most data-intensive queries
Monitor and reduce JS / JSON size

Whats above can be thought of like this, Say you grab a new plugin that , it does exactly what your after as far as messaging goes, well this would leave a possible js file thats going to load up with your page for no reason. so what is being explained might look like its hard or a pain, but its simply:

Uncheck Callā€™s you wont be able to use those features, although you wont be loading the whole plugin for nothing.

You can see now how that list you have up there could start to reduce. But, your going to find that compressing or even using the right size image for the bounding box is going to kick start your initial load time a lot quicker that the js references (depending of couse as with every case you look at here.)

One thing that is interesting is bubble by default is supposedly taking care of compressing these. I will have a look and see its actually being done.

Yes i can understand that, the page speed tool wasnā€™t put there to give users the idea that there is even a problem that needs to be dealt with. Its because we have on our side that as a community we are all at core level starting the same and by finding trends looking at others knowing what you know about your app will either prompt you to fix it, retest (showing now to others what might work) or prompt a discussion about a particular pattern you have uncovered.

Here is codepen.io page speed dataā€¦

I now see that I am duplicating some ā€˜investigative workā€™ :confused:

I think yes. I managed to increase the speed of my app load by 30% just by deleting around 10 plugings that I did not use.

Why does bubble load all plugins, and not just those that are relevant to the page that is being loaded?

Here is a test I ran. The pdf plugins are taking 20seconds to load!! And they are not being used on that page, but rather on another manager page.

Some insight here will be appreciated!

FWIW, if a plugin is taking 20 seconds to load, something is broken. Test it on some other browsers to see if the issue is happening everywhere, or just on one browser type or even your own browser. If you are seeing any meaningful delay in load times, contact the plugin developer.

As to why all plugins are loaded, and whether thatā€™s a necessity or a choice Bubble made, thatā€™s beyond my knowledge.