[New Feature] Discourse SSO

Hello,

We just added a way to use your app as a SSO provider with Discourse. What that means is that your users can use their app’s credentials to login to a forum that you have set up with Discourse, as we do for this forum and your Bubble credentials.

You can see this section in the API section of the Settings Tab. You’ll need to add the URL of the forum and the key that you can generate in Discourse. You’ll also need to set things up in the forum as described here.

Note that this feature is available on the Professional plan and above.

Thank you @supernaturally for coordinating the sponsoring on this feature!

22 Likes

Thanks @emmanuel and the Bubble community for this one!

We use (and love) discourse as the main forums for our business. So glad I found this community - happy Friday everyone!

Thanks bubble team for this one.

A special thanks to @supernaturally and to everyone who helped sponsoring this.

Excited for 2018

2 Likes

thanks a lot for having sponsored this feature :slight_smile:

Awesome, thank you guys for taking the time to build this in, @emmanuel!

1 Like

Any idea why its telling me to upgrade to personal plan to use this when I am on the personal plan annual?

It was a typo, sorry, should be professional. We just pushed a fix

Does this work with the self-hosted or the SaaS/hosted version of Discourse (or both)?

2 Likes

What’s the URL for our app we should put into Discourse?

Figured it out. The text underneath the settings > API > Discourse SSO section includes the URL to use. Just copy and paste.

It works nicely now. Sent me an email to click on and created an account in the forum that matches the account in my app. If anyone’s curious, the app is https://track-well.com and the forum is https://forum.track-well.com

Hello, i am trying to do the exact same thing for my app , problem is when i log out of the forum using my admin account the forum locks me out and i have to reset the password i cant access the , also i have no idea how to use workflow to make the user go to the forum , what exactly the external URL should be to make use of the sso implementation , thank you

i’m really confused on how to do this , please check my post and any help is appreciated , will the installation make this work ? @blueback09

1 Like

discourse is going to be hosted on its own server, so it will never be part of bubble.
My app has a link to the forum but it’s just a normal link to another website. The only way you know they’re together is they have the same branding and the same top level domain. (track-well.com vs forum.track-well.com). And, of course, if you already have an app account then the forum will accept that so you don’t have to log into each separately. That features really makes them feel like they’re together.

You might be able to embed the forum in an iFrame so that users don’t have to load the forum web page separately, but I’m just speculating; I haven’t tried that.

2 Likes

Just saw that the Professional Plan is 69€ a month. I have to pass on this then, def would have bought the 16€ Plan just to use this forum login but over 60€ is a bit too much monthly, maybe there is other benefits but for me it would be mainly to get API workflows and this Discourse login.
Thanks for giving the option though, just he professional plan is bit too much imo :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@emmanuel does Discourse SSO only work when our app’s are live? Or will it work with test version apps too?

I was so excited on discovering this feature until I saw it to be just for professional plan.
It’s pricey for an Indian user like me :sob:

3 Likes

That’s a great question - I was wondering the same thing right now regarding the Circle.so SSO - did you ever figure this one out?